Someone asked a question recently about art mapping a movie with a folder of sub movies using MSG Evolver recently. And as i was thinking it occurred to me that you could do something similar in Studio Artist directly. The trick is to use 2D index mapping in a movie source brush or movie background texture.

Let's say you have 5 different sub movies you want to work with, and they are all 50 frames long. The you could make a movie brush were they are strung back to back. The movie brush would be 250 frames, the first 50 frames being the first sub movie, the second 50 frames being the second sub movie, etc. The you can set up the 2D index mapping for the movie so that the individual sub movies frame advance and you use some visual attribute to index between them. I ran some simple tests using source luminance to map the movies and it does work. I used time particles for continuity through time for the paint nibs. But you could use a fixed sampling grid for the path starts.

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sequential.
Here's a stupid example using a few time particles to show it does work.
Attachments:
Hey I like that! Cool!
Here's 2 simple preset examples. The first uses a movie source brush. The second uses a movie background texture.

Note that if you use a movie source brush, if you want a non rectangular shape you will need to build your movie with an embedded alpha channel for the shape mask and use the Source Alpha Brush Brush Type. Using the movie background texture lets you use a normal computational (or other) source brush, so you can specify the shape there. Depending on your movie size you my need to adjust the horz and vert offset for the background texture accordingly. And of course size the source brush to something that makes sense. The background texture will tile if the source brush is too large.

My test movie file used 3 sub movies, so you'd need to change the A dimension for the 2D movie index accordingly if you use more sub movies.
Attachments:
Someone recently asked me how to emulate the old MSG Evolver feature where you map a database of movies onto a movie to make a video mosaic. The trick is to use 2D index mapping for the movie brush. This old forum post discusses how to do it.
Thanks John, I had forgotten about this thread and/or couldn't find it!
It works great!
Very cool. Any chance of this being made into a tips page?
Good point, it probably should be documented in a tip since it's hard to find here. I'll try to do that in the next few days.

Hi John ,

Please can this same 2d index mapping be used to emulate the art mapper effect using the source image. 

Thanks

Not at the moment. There's no concept of splitting the 2 axis modulations to allow for more than 1 color vector for the rgb mapping of an image brush. I'll think about that for the future.

Hi John, 

Please thanks for the response. But I have seen the art mapper effect simulated in the works of some users on the forum.

RSS

Latest Activity

Danny Ceunen commented on Bernard Bunner's photo
Thumbnail

MSG Abstract7 / ArtCam

"nice work to lasercut in color acrylic"
13 hours ago
mark g commented on mark g's photo
Thumbnail

Leonardo's lost sketchbook. 4. Robby the robot

"actor..was in 'Titanic'...and painted a woman, which is apparenty famous....hangs in the LOUVRE..: )"
yesterday
Paul Perlow posted a photo
Tuesday
Synthetik Software replied to Adrion T. Kelley's discussion Matching colors from Source Image to .png's from Mosaic Image Folder
"If you have very specific requirements for how you want the image folder brushes to be laid own in the canvas, and if the RGB Match brush indexing doesn't do the job you want, you could build selection masks and run multiple passes with the…"
Tuesday
Synthetik Software replied to Adrion T. Kelley's discussion Matching colors from Source Image to .png's from Mosaic Image Folder
"So i'm confused about what you are trying to do.  The RGB Mapping frame modulator in Brush Source is going to choose the image that gives the least RGB error when matched to the source color where it is being placed down.  You have it…"
Monday
"Well, if you look in the Brush Modulation control panel, you will see that you are using the source Image Orientation to modulate both the size and the orientation of the brush nibs. So if you set the Size Modulation to None, then there will be no…"
Monday
David Buckle posted photos
Monday
Jean Detheux posted a video

Variation 19 FB image sequence from Jean Detheux on Vimeo.

Variation 19 FB image sequence

Image sequence built with individual images pulled from the Variation 18 video posted on Facebook, the images are being used based on the viewers' reaction. More info here: https://vimeo.com/showcase/5641128 At first, the 32 videos will be posted…
Monday

© 2020   Created by Synthetik Software.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service