Ok - now I'm starting understand how to make stuff with the feedback warp, which is very cool.

So now I'm wondering if there's any way to do video feedback style effects without the actual warping? For example, doing some kind of rotation or scaling in conjunction with feedback?

thanks,
Michael

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

most of my efforts with this go out of bounds fairly quickly (though I haven't tried much yet). They either go to black or white, or get really really noisy within a few frames. Any tips for fertile directions?
For out of bounds results you can adjust the mix down on the layers to keep things in range.

Sometimes i push the values wildly out of range so they fold over and then recolorize the flattened canvas afterwards using something like Colorize ip op.

You could run some other processing to get rid of noise. Smart blur, Smooth, etc.
Related to the links you mention, there is an IFS image mapping processor called IFSProc in MSG Evolver. It was kind of experimental, but it does what they are talking about in those articles. You would chain several of them to build something more complicated. I just tried it out and it basically works as expected.

It looks like there is one issue with a little pixel drop out for certain affine ratios so i'll try to clean that up.
Another feedback experiment, this one testing out the illusion of depth to a greater extent than the one posted above:
http://imig.colorado.edu/~theodore/feeddepth.mov
That's a pretty amazing clip.

It's interesting, because if you didn't explain how you were doing it i would have thought it was something based on one of the procedural noise generators in Studio Artist or MSG Evolver. Maybe there's a way to take some of these ideas and fold them into a new MSG processor?
This was a two step paseq. The first step was "fixed image", with blend set to 35 (but it obviously also work with other numbers). The next step is an MSG patch which has TGs to control translation on the x and y axis, rotating, and scaling. Since the images are being faded in, the previous steps are continually translated, rotated and scaled (the settings on each of these has a big effect on the look).

In terms of folding this into an MSG processor: is there way of making a feedback buffer with MSG? Or, I suppose, just simply doing the equivalent of "fixed image?"
Right now you would need to use the 3CMixMod processor and a flat value temporary image as the mix % (as opposed to just adjusting a mix slider in a 3CMix processor (which we don't have but i'll put on my list of things to add soon).) So you'd add a temporary image stream to the bus and then set it to a scaler value with SetToValue processor, and then use that image stream as the mix image for the 3CMixMod processor. Of course you could use a more complicated image for the mix modulation which might add some interesting visual effects.

As far as a feedback buffer, you can have as many additional image streams on the bus as you want, so you can build msg presets with all kinds of temporary buffers for calculations.
I added a 3CMix MSG processor, so it's in there now. However, it's in the 4.0 codebase so you'll have to wait until 4.0 comes out to get access to it.

Feel free to speak up about any other MSG processors you would like to see added, especially ones that fill 'holes' like this one.

RSS

Latest Activity

Synthetik Software replied to mark g's discussion Kai's supergoo..
"Do you want a paint preset? Or do you want to use interactive warp? There are some options in there that use an adjustable local sphere radius for the interactive warp effect."
16 hours ago
Yao Kuame replied to Yao Kuame's discussion Paint preset mixer
"Really helpful, please asked about an explanation on how to use the paint preset mixer, could you help me out."
16 hours ago
mark g posted a discussion

Kai's supergoo..

John, a long time ago, years in fact, I asked if there was a preset that imitated the old 90s program 'Kai's supergoo". You put a really cool preset up which did just that, I've trawled my laptop and backup and cannot find it...any chance you or anyone could put it up again?thanksSee More
19 hours ago
Thor Johnson posted photos
yesterday
Synthetik Software replied to Yao Kuame's discussion Paint preset mixer
"You need to have an ip op that generates vector paths selected as your current ip op for that generate path menu command to be active.  So, if it is active, then the current ip op you have selected generates vectors. If it isn't active,…"
yesterday
Yao Kuame replied to Yao Kuame's discussion Color vectors
"Thanks really appreciate it"
yesterday
Yao Kuame posted a discussion

Paint preset mixer

Hello, Please the generate from IP op option under the generate path menu command is disabled. How can I fix this please.Again please could someone explain how to use the paint preset mixerSee More
yesterday
Synthetik Software replied to Heather's discussion Watershed direction
"There are many different 'Watershed' named effects in Studio Artist, so i'm not sure which one you are asking about in this post. If you attach the preset you are using, i can take a look at it and comment further. The Watershed ip…"
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Synthetik Software.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service