Biggest size for movie brush?

Hi John or anyone else who knows... 

I am making movie brushes, on my PC version of Studio Artist 4, and it seems like the biggest size I can make a movie to use as a movie brush is 300 x 300 px.  If I make a movie bigger, and/or not square, it does not work, nothing is painted onto the canvas when I paint with the brush, although movies at 300x300 work just fine.  Is 300x300 px really the biggest size for movie brushes or am I doing something wrong?

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OK I have figured something out, maybe it is a bug?  On my mac version of SA 3.5 I can use a 640x480 movie as a movie brush, but the same movie does not work as a movie brush on my Windows PC SA4.  Any ideas?  I would try it on my other mac laptop that has SA4 on it,  but that one is having major problems and freezes up on startup, so I can't try it right now.  The mac I am using with SA 3.5 is my older laptop.

• I've definitely used movie brushes with larger frame sizes than 300x300 pixels on a regular basis.

2472671374?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Here's a test i just ran using a 1024x1024 movie brush.

And i've used larger frame sizes when working with source movies for stack filtering with temporal ip op effects. And the aspect ratio shouldn't make any difference. Unless you are using some codec that has restricted frame sizes (avid comes to mind in that regard).

In V4, if the movie frame size if larger than a set default, Studio Artist automatically switches the MB Load Status from preload to disk draw. Preload loads the entire movie into ram memory, which will chew up ridiculous amount of memory for large frame sizes or a large number of frames in the movie. I'm not sure if 3.5 is smart about doing that. So you might want to set it to disk draw before loading a new movie brush if you are working with memory intensive movies. Preload decompresses each frame, so the memory footprint of a preloaded movie brush is going to be way larger than what you see for a compressed movie file.

Also, the entire brush cache is memory allocated (as defined in Brush Modulation control panel based on the base frame size for the movie). So you might want to check what you have that set to. Remember, the number of brush cache memory allocations is the # of sizes times the # of orientations. And i've seen people do things like set the max brush size to some large number greater than 100% for weird reasons. So that's a way to chew up ridiculous amounts of memory for the brush cache allocation if you do are careless about you have the Brush Modulation control panel setup.

I am of course using a mac for my testing right now. I'll hunt down a windows machine later today and try some tests there, but i'm unclear on why that would make any difference.

This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13

The Overload

"The Overload"! A video with music, from the various experiments I made in Studio Artist with stuff that I have learned in the last few days, from tips and tricks I found by scouring this site and the Synthetik site for tutorials etc. MSG! Paint Synth with MSG Path Generation! Movie Brushes with MSG Path Start Generation! Time Particles! Time Particles with MSG Path Start Generation running Movie Brushes! All that, and more! Haha I have been trying to stretch the Paint Synthesizer in the…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 31

Teenage Tongue Cult

Hi, here is the video I made back in 2010 for my song "Teenage Tongue Cult". I finally found my master folder of image sequence files for it on one of my old hard drives, and since the version I had on my Vimeo was of pretty terrible pixelated low quality visually, I re-did it yesterday. It has extensive use of Studio Artist through the whole thing. I made it by first animating the characters and scenes in Flash, against a mostly kind of muddy green background, a color I knew wasn't being used…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 30