Brush 128 x 128 Problem

Anyone willing to lend it to me brush measuring 128 x128 . I 'm trying to create a mosaic with the brush .

The reason are...

1. I do not find in SA , the sample -sized brush . Always smaller than 128x128 .

2. Whenever I make that size and load to preset editor , the result is always blank . Box only appears when the action button on the run .

3. It is all about precision placement of the box in the box when creating a mosaic manually . I will attach the image below

when I make a picture with a brush size 64 x 64 , all went well . But when I made with a larger brush ; 256 x 256 problem that arises is there a space between the boxes holding the box to fill it. The example in the figure below

with brush 256 x256 beginning I made ​​arrangements at Brush modulation : Size # 1 , Min and Max Size Range 0 to 128. ( Other settings such as Start Path and Path Application in accordance with the reference that I found on the forum) . All good. But when I make a change to the max value to 64 , began to appear a space on the right and bottom of the box when I put 64 in the box 128. Likewise, changes occur in the smaller value . The smaller the value , the greater the spacing that appears .

Did anyone ever try to brush measuring 128 x 128 ? How is the solution to brush larger than 128 x 128 ?

Thanks,

Gad

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you want to attach your paint preset, i can take a look at it. Hard to comment on how you might or might not have programmed it otherwise.

If you do ever run into situations where there are cracks or incomplete coverage, there are several ip op effects that are called 'interpolators' that can be used to intelligently extend out existing content into the flat colored background (i guess black in your case). Look at the Geodesic Interpolation ip op effect for example. It is discussed in this context at the end of this tip post.

• Please review the paint preset I attach.

This is not cracks we know before (there's gap between tile), but tile box that fill the parent box. You can try this preset with brush 256 x 256 and see what happen everytime you change the max value.

Start with 128 then run action. So the brush will fill the canvas. After that, change the value to 64, the you click inside the box. You'll see there's a thin line on the right and bottom.

Anyway thanks John for the tip post. That matter is also article that i'm looking for..:)

grid_tile_mosaic

• When you say Max value, are referring to Max Size Range in the Brush Modulation control panel? I hope you are aware that that control is a % adjustment of the actual size of the brush in the Brush Source control panel. So to get 128, you'd set it to 50%, and to get 64, you'd set it to 25%, assuming you have a 256x256 movie brush.

Your preset also is using Point Sample for the Size Interpolation. Which has it's uses, but is a crappy looking resizing algorithm since it is 0-order interpolation, which means it just drops pixels as opposed to generating some kind of anti-aliased reduction in appearance. Use Interpolation if you want smoother results.

• The other thing i just noticed, is that you have the Nib Masking parameter in the Paint Fill Apply control panel set to Local Image Range. So that is going to introduce local image range masking into the paint fill based on the characteristics of your source image. You probably don't want that happening, and should set it to Normal.

• Here's my guess at what your problem might be. In the Brush Type control panel, you are using the Source Brush option for the Brush Type. So, any pixels in the source brush that are set to 255 act as a mask for the brush. If they happen to be at the edge of the movie frame, then you would see a space.

Try switching Brush Type to Source Alpha Brush. If your movie does not have an alpha channel, then it defaults to full on for all of the pixels in the movie frame. In testing your paint preset with a 256x256 movie file here, i did not see any 'edge space' artifacts when painting by hand. But i did see some dropout associated with pure white (255) pixels in my source movie file. Making the change i mention above gets rid of that.

I use movie brushes larger than 128x128 all the time (as do many other people), and have never had any issues with them. You do need to be aware that the Max Size Range control in the Brush Modulation control panel uses integer values (as do all paint synthesizer editable parameters). So as you try to reduce the size of a movie brush by 50% progressively, you will eventually run into integer math limitations if you are trying to do a progressively smaller nested grid (100 - 50 - 25 -X). Switching in a different sized movie brush at that X point (same contents, appropriately adjusted smaller frame size) is the way around that.

What canvas frame size are you working with? Just so i can verify there isn't some weird spacing bug associated with that. But so far, i don't see any spacing issues (other than the 255 = mask condition associated with a source brush and how the paint synthesizer's paint fill setup-apply control panels use that as an internal mask). And switching to Alpha Source Brush should fix that for you.

• Thanks John for the explanation. I 've changed the type of Source Brush brush into Alpha Source Brush..and the results is... I still find spaces left. Is it because we us different Operating System ?

In determining the value of max range I use a brush , because I think it is easier to determine the size smaller than its previous size ; 128-64-32-16-8-4 ( in some cases , the size of 16 , the image detail is already visible ) . And so far for brush size 64x64 (josh groban pic above), everything running well.
      On appeal using the percentage size ; 100 % , 50 % , 25 % , X. Because if you use half of the size of the brush before, should have value in use is 12.5 % , and this can not be done .

"What canvas frame" you mean the canvas size ? Here the current size...
      2472685079?profile=original
      and then i resize to..

2472685215?profile=original

I'll remember to use Interpolation to get better result.

By the way, I've read : http://synthetik.com/photo-mosaic-path-start-regionize-arrangement-... and follow the instruction to set path start to get result like this...
      2472685414?profile=original

but i can made it, did I miss something ?

• I just ran a few tests with your paint preset on win 7 using a 256x256 quicktime movie brush, and reducing the size of the movie brush to 64 pixels (which would be a 25% setting for the Max Size in the Brush Modulation control panel) works fine for me. I also used the canvas size you posted in your last reply (2000 x 1412). I don't see any spaces. It works exactly the same for me on windows as it does on my macs. No mysterious spaces between the tiles.

I turned off the Nib Masking, and changed the Brush Type to Alpha Source brush, as i discussed previously.

My movie brush does not have an embedded alpha channel, so it defaults to alpha on for the entire movie frame when i use the Alpha Source Brush option for Brush Type.

Maybe you should post the movie file you are working with so i can test that directly. Or email it to me if you don't want to post it publicly.

What version of windows Quicktime are you using? Although to be honest, i don't see that as having any effect on how the movie brush is working, unless it's super old maybe? 

What quicktime compression codec are you using? I used apple photo jpeg in the movie i used for my test of your paint preset

• My brush is almost 50 mb, i'll send it later. But I think you better see this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03hr8vfKzNk&feature=youtu.be. You'll see the process..step by step.

About codec, where I can get that information ?

• I use Quicktime Pro 7

• I watched your youtube movie, and you are not understanding the Max Size Range control in the Brush Modulation control panel. All of your problems are coming from this misunderstanding. It specified a % size adjustment based off of the actual movie size in the Brush Source control panel. Not a specific pixel size.

So, setting it to 128 is not specifying a brush size of 128 pixels. It's specifying a 128% size adjustment to 256. So you are interpolating the brush size to be bigger than your original movie size.

If you want the brush size to be 128 pixels when you are using a 256 pixel sized original movie brush, then you need to set Max Size Range to 50%. And if you want the brush size to be 64 pixels, then you need to set it to 25%.

As i mentioned before, the adjustable parameters for the paint synthesizer are integer numbers, not floating point. So you need to be careful when doing something like nested tiling, because the percent size reductions need to map out perfectly to the proper smaller nested size. What you are seeing is due to the integer numbers 128% and 64% being used to create brush sizes that don't nest. that's why i said that for a given original movie brush size, you can use 100%, 50%, and 25% for nesting, and then you need to switch to a smaller loaded movie brush, because you can't enter 12.5% as a parameter.

Also, in general it's not a good idea to set the Max Size Range greater than 100%. I mean you can, but you're messing with the quality of image in the movie brush. Better to use a larger size if you need it, rather than interpolating the movie brush beyond it's original size. And again, using Point Sample for the Size Interpolation uses the worst algorithm (0-order interpolation) for the brush size adjustment. Setting it to Interpolation will use a much better algorithm for both increasing the size and for reducing the size.

This reply was deleted.

On the closure of the User Forum : An open letter to John Dalton

Hi John I have no idea what you are going through. However the impact you have made not to continue with the user forum and your desire keep it as a permanent feature as promised in the past is a big shock. It also betrays the faith and love we have shown in you and Studio Artist.  Bluntly spoken, it sucks. That you have chosen to follow this direction in silence, allowing no compassion or understanding on our part is a betrayal of the deepest level. What is going on? This is not the John…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Paul Perlow 5 hours ago

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 22

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
7 Replies · Reply by Alf 5 hours ago