Challenge - technical question

This is not really a challenge - like the challenge group challenges... More of a technical question - with a search for an optimal process (the challenging part) tacked on in hopes of finding a simple solution in SA.

I am wondering what would be the best way - or least difficult/multi-correctional step process for accomplishing this:

I want to work with a canvas that is defined at a fixed size. At least 3000x3000 pixels - but potentially any size - above 2k pixels. 

Most likely I would be creating a file to work in by opening a saved session that serves as a template.

I want to use a tiling background piece of bitmap art as a "bottom" layer - essentially the surface at the bottom of a series of overlapping layers.

I want to apply the tiling background without opening it as a new canvas.

I would like to be able to apply the texture and have it seamlessly fill whatever the canvas size is.

How would I do this with tools in SA?

Here is why:

I am making images that use a watercolor paper texture as a textured surface to build up art on to.

The texture tiles. That is - it repeats seamlessly. I would like to fill my bottom canvas layer (Flood fill in old school terms - bucket fill with the texture would be a Photoshop equivalent) with the tiling texture - but not have to go thru a business of having to make a file with the texture and use that as my canvas. I want to be able to adjust the size of my canvas to any size and fill the bottom layer with the texture.

I am using a high resolution (tiff format) texture like the jpeg attached to this thread.

The image here is an example of what I am trying to do. An example of a textured backdrop and "painted" art on layers overlaying the texture:

dinohadew00.jpg

I want to be able to "automate" making images this way a little more. The generic tiling texture and using a blank session are ways to automate - open and begin working in a predefined file structure.

All suggestions are welcome.

tiling_WCpaper_light.jpg

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you already have the tile image, then you could use an image brush in the paint synthesizer to lay down the tiles. You could use the rectangular grid scan path start generator, setup to tile based on the pixel dimensions of your image brush. And you want to lay down single paint nibs, so the mac path length should be 1.

• John, 

Thanks!

I would like to get a Paint Synth brush working.

I gave it a try - but need to find a preset with close to no settings on it to start with.

I was unable to make a paint synth preset that would apply - particularly the large brush source being the tiling texture.

This is one alternative I came up with:

Make the tiling texture the source.

Make the canvas whatever size it needs to be.

Under Warp:

• Scale Uniform - 
      • Set Source to Source (the tiling texture)
      • Set Boundary to Tile
      • Hand adjust the tile (click and drag the canvas)

This is terribly imprecise in getting the texture at the scale I want (uniform for whatever image i create) - But it does allow me to apply and tile the texture.

There must be other alternatives. Still looking.

This reply was deleted.

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson on Friday

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Emil G. on Saturday

Having difficulty exporting canvas as image

I'd like to export a canvas as a .tiff/.tif image file to a folder I made on my desktop.I select that from a dropdown menu, I can name the exported file, change the extension, etc, and I press save but nothing happens.It's always worked until now. It seems like a simple task. Any ideas?I'm on Mac OSX 12.6, if that matters, and my system hasn't changed since the last time I was able to export successfully.Thanks  

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Tony Bouttell Mar 5