Replies

• The images you are referring to were created using Studio Artist.

Here's one tip you might want to read to give you some ideas.

I'm assuming you've played around with path start regionization effects for creating mosaics. You can always modify those presets to draw an outline around the irregular mosaic pieces they generate. You just run them twice, first to fill in the mosaic, then to draw an outline. You need to turn off any randomization if you are running it twice.

The tip i posted above show off another approach. You draw lines first to break up the canvas. Then you  regionize all of the blank holes and fill them in with a mosaic fill.

• You mean we don't need to create shape manually ? (I'm talking about crack glass mosaic tile on reference image). Cos for mess work, I made it manually by mouse. So he hardest part is when i need to draw the straight line.

Do you have sample preset for this (ver. 4 - windows) ?

• No, you don't need to create the shapes manually. There are literally hundreds of different ways to do it automatically in studio artist. You really need to read up on path start regionization. You could use one of the many regionization options to do it automatically. Or, you could use the paint synthesizer to automatically break up the canvas into different regions, which is what the tip i posted above does for the pantograph mosaic. You could also use the vectorizer to do it. Or any ip op effect that generates flat cored regions as it's output. There are several specific path start generators associated with path start regionization that allow you do take a flat colored region image input and paint using those region shapes.

Here's a tip to help out with path start regionization.

Here's another tip on path start regionization.

• If I make by using the path start regionization as you refer , the result of the pattern is the same shape , may also be the same size . Whereas if I note style from broken glass mosaic , is the varying shape . That's why I chose to do it manually . That became my close attention is how can tsevis create diverse patterns arranged so neatly , albeit with a random pattern .

I also realized that in discussing the topic is often a long conversation . It is concerned with understanding the language in use . That is why I always ask for a tutorial in the form of images, as visually easier to understand step by step .

So I hope you do not get bored with a lot of questions that are often repeated . That's because when I finished reading the reference you give , I give it a try . And when it was not as I expected , I finally asked back . When communication is increasingly difficult for me to understand and makes me frustrated , I finally chose to stop and ask it again after some time later . I apologize for that.

• I don't understand when you say 'the same shape'? Path Start Regionization can generate all kinds of different shapes, depending on which variety of it you use.

And again, there are literally hundreds of different ways in Studio Artist to use image processing effects to create flat colored regions from an image. Any image that consists of flat colored regions can be directly regionized for painting by any of the path start regionization options that use the current image in the selection buffer or canvas.

And you can also use the Vectorizer to do it, and then regionize that Vectorizer output to use the shapes it generated for painting.

If you are referring to the cracks when you mean 'shape', you can use the output of the path start regionization to create cracks by using a solid colored or patterned paint while it draws the boundary of the regions generated by a path start regionization algorithm. You can use brush size randomization to make the crack width irregular.

Don't worry about asking questions, that's what the forum is here for.  Sometimes i'm terse with my answers because they may be topics that were extensively discussed in the past, or detailed in old blog posts. Please feel free to ask for additional information if you don't understand something. 

Hawaii is getting hit by 2 tag team hurricanes this week, so bear with me if it takes a while to answer, since the power keeps going out.

• Perhaps because of its shape constructed by the computer so it is difficult to make a shape as we expected. We need to customize the shape.
              In the example of the work that I include , creation of mosaic form refers to the shape that refers to the dark and light areas in the image . That is why the composition of the pattern to be detailed in order to result mosaic bears a resemblance to the original. While on existing examples , the focus in the show did not detail .

Let's look at the  tsevis's artwork that produced with this technique . In the eye , cracks can be arranged in detail and neat .

And also on the other part . I have also some time ago chatting with tsevis , and he said that some of his work indeed was done manually . When I asked further , tsevis avoid talking about making techniques , but rather the concepts and ideas .
              I've also tried several paths start regionization , but is not yet up as I expected . I'll try to include preset later.

By the way about Hawaii and what is happening there , I hope everything is fine .
  • Re: your messi example. You could select the blank while spaces, then expand that selection and soften it, then use that to mask in a fill in a solid color or pattern that has smooth edges.

For just smoothing up something already created, i oftentimes use a Smart Blur  ip op effect like this:

2472685045?profile=original

• How to select the blank while spaces ?

I confuse also how to save canvas to png format with the transparent image?

• Here's a tip on how to select and mask the canvas.

You need to have alpha view enabled when you save the canvas as a png if you want the canvas alpha channel to be output as an embedded alpha channel in the png. Here's a tip on working with alpha in layers.

• Ok i'll try it...by the way...I send some message to you..have you read it ?

This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

The Overload

"The Overload"! A video with music, from the various experiments I made in Studio Artist with stuff that I have learned in the last few days, from tips and tricks I found by scouring this site and the Synthetik site for tutorials etc. MSG! Paint Synth with MSG Path Generation! Movie Brushes with MSG Path Start Generation! Time Particles! Time Particles with MSG Path Start Generation running Movie Brushes! All that, and more! Haha I have been trying to stretch the Paint Synthesizer in the…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 31

Teenage Tongue Cult

Hi, here is the video I made back in 2010 for my song "Teenage Tongue Cult". I finally found my master folder of image sequence files for it on one of my old hard drives, and since the version I had on my Vimeo was of pretty terrible pixelated low quality visually, I re-did it yesterday. It has extensive use of Studio Artist through the whole thing. I made it by first animating the characters and scenes in Flash, against a mostly kind of muddy green background, a color I knew wasn't being used…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 30