Fade An Operation? Invisible Masking?

John, I hate to be pesky but, would it be possible to add a "Fade" command to SA4, something variable perhaps? For example I run a Texture operation over an existing image and while the effect is nice I want to be able to hit a command key and fade the effect subtly on the fly without having to undo, make adjustments and then redo. A pop-up box wherein you could enter a percentage of fade would be nice so I could throttle back the effect to fine tune it. If this were application wide it would also allow one to fade individual strokes of color, etc.

One other request - is it possible to have the option to display a mask as a selection border (or even toggle the visibility of the mask)? I use masks a lot and when the non-masked areas are covered by a gray overlay it makes it impossible to accurately judge the effect or paint applied in relation to non-masked areas. I think at one time you suggested a semi-elaborate work-around but something simple and elegant would be less intrusive so I don't have to add layers or work with multi-step processes. Thanks.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We can consider adding some kind of fade command for the future. I haven't thought enough about any potential ramifications or issues associated with something like this to comment on it at this point in time.

You mention being able to toggle the visibility of the mask when in selection mode. You can do this now, just turn the mask checkbox in the main operation toolbar off to toggle the mask view off.

Are you asking for a 'marching ants' style selection display option? As opposed to the current gray overlay for non-selected areas approach we currently use.
    • Thanks John. I'm aware of the toggle for mask visibility (cmd-Y). What I was alluding to is the ability to toggle the gray visibility on and off while leaving the mask in a functional working mode. I want to be able to mask an area, enable the mask to paint or perform an operation but have the gray overlay off. That way I can paint and see the relationship of the colors to the unmasked areas as I paint. I do subtle brushing and blending - it is pretty hard to judge when enough is enough when everything else is covered in gray.

Yes, marching ants would be an alternative if hiding the gray overlay is programming issue.
      • OK, I'll think about what you are really asking for. We used to have the option to turn the mask display off in 3.5 in the region selection control panel, the issue was that people forget they turned it off and then wonder why selection isn't working, so we removed that option in version 4.

Maybe we could add some hot key option to get at what you want. If we made the opacity of the gray overlay user adjustable, would that also make it work better for you?
        • The hot key idea would be good but that means the hot key would have to be pressed continually,right? Like using the Q hot key for interactive masking mode? Having to hold it down continually could be an ergonomic issue during extended sessions. The adjustable overlay would be fine if you had the choice to dial it way down to a value close to zero.

All of this relates to an individual artist's method of work or process (by hand or more procedural). Masking visibility won't be an issue for many of SA's users. I thought I'd ask for it if it isn't a huge deal.
          • John the mask already "disappears" when we do interactive adjust or warp functions, which is very helpful, so I can see where Richard's process might also benefit from the option. As long as we are talking about masking I will re-raise the request to have the ability to apply the warp functions to the mask.
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

The Overload

"The Overload"! A video with music, from the various experiments I made in Studio Artist with stuff that I have learned in the last few days, from tips and tricks I found by scouring this site and the Synthetik site for tutorials etc. MSG! Paint Synth with MSG Path Generation! Movie Brushes with MSG Path Start Generation! Time Particles! Time Particles with MSG Path Start Generation running Movie Brushes! All that, and more! Haha I have been trying to stretch the Paint Synthesizer in the…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 31

Teenage Tongue Cult

Hi, here is the video I made back in 2010 for my song "Teenage Tongue Cult". I finally found my master folder of image sequence files for it on one of my old hard drives, and since the version I had on my Vimeo was of pretty terrible pixelated low quality visually, I re-did it yesterday. It has extensive use of Studio Artist through the whole thing. I made it by first animating the characters and scenes in Flash, against a mostly kind of muddy green background, a color I knew wasn't being used…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 30