I am checking in to see if some of these steps are redundant, overkill or the optimum I need for best quality in wide-screen HD video for festival screenings while leaving my options open for green screening/cloning/compositing in editing.

1. HD (1080i60. 19.97 fps) captured in Final Cut Express
2. Export to QTPro - animation codec, current fps, millions of colors+, best quality and size is native.
3. Import into StudioArtist 3.5 - movie compression: animation, 29.97 fps, millions of colors+, best quality. Canvas size - 50% (1920x1080 becomes 960x540) , 300dpi. Process paseq - 1st: layer to supersize source. 2nd: gradient lighting.
4. Re-export to QTPro- animation, current fps, millions of colors +, best quality - size: HD: 1920x1080, 16:9.
5. Import to Final Cut Express  - apple intermediate codec and size defaults to 1440x1080 in editing sequence specs.

I have an iMac OSX 10.4 with 4 gigs of memory and an external hard drive - so the computer will handle it I am thinking/hoping, but just wondering if I need all this (bearing in mind I might want to greenscreen and composite)

Thank you anyone out there for helping me get this right. It's a lot of detail but each step seems to affect the outcome - thank you!!!

Views: 596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes they can and very quickly too. I would look into a multi TB (terabyte) raid array for storage.

Have fun
Great info - thanks!

I would use the ProRes codecs in SA.  If you don't have FCP you can get around it with this info http://bit.ly/tPGQYN

thank you Hulagirl - and how timely --

I'm finally exporting to SA from Final Cut Express. FCE has Apple ProRes codecs ...now to figure out how to diminish flicker in SA.....

Here's a tutorial post that links to different movie processing tips that discuss flicker and how to reduce it.

thank you John - I've been experimenting like mad!

What are you doing that is flickering?  If the paint preset is chaotic it will flicker more but you can use a the trick of slowly fading each frame over time with setting Fixed Image in Image Operations to about 30% that smooths it out.  But it can also make trails so you may not want that.  I have found that the sketch presets in Autopaint are pretty stable and I use those a lot.  Also there are presets in the vectorizer that can be stable especially the sketch ones.  One other trick I like to use is to use Colorize or Fixed image in Image Operations and bring in just a little bit of the original movie by adjusting the mix which helps with stability.  

You can check out this movie http://studioartist.ning.com/video/auto-rotoscoped-dancers

If you are interested in these techniques I posted a bunch of the PAseq presets here http://tinyurl.com/7f7kvxx

What kinds of effects are you going for?

Thank you Hulagirl

I've been experimenting a lot with yours and John's suggestions. I've got to know SA even better as a result!! I've settled on the simplest ImOp solution and I've decided I like the sense of animation you get with all the movement within the image. And it's automated. That works for me!

Thank you so much.

RSS

Latest Activity

Alan posted photos
15 hours ago
Paul Perlow posted a photo
yesterday
Farshore updated their profile
yesterday
Farshore posted photos
Friday
Alan posted photos
Friday
Farshore left a comment for Alan
"Thanks. I've got half a dozen or more themes I am working on to get posted on the website, all using that linear drawing style. I'll start dropping a few more here on the forum."
Friday
Alan left a comment for Farshore
"Nice photos on your website. I like the modern buildings ones much!"
Friday
Farshore replied to Synthetik Software's discussion Spammer booted from user forum
"I've got a ton on images I am working on using modifications of the original preset. The best are going up on my web gallery (https://farshore.smugmug.com/Art-Work/Digital-drawing), but I have so far only thinned the herd down to two galleries.…"
Thursday

© 2020   Created by Synthetik Software.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service