House Of Pills Mosaic By Charis Tsevis

Hi Guys,

I'm new to SA5 and have been playing around with the photo mosaics, I would like to create my own designs based on the look achieved on the House Of Pills picture in the gallery but it seems to me that quite a few processes must have been used to create this effect with the additional pills floating around the image?

Is there a tutorial or video that explains how this effect was achieved or could someone please give an exlaination if possible?

Kind regards

Darren

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Many people are interested in Charis's work with Studio Artist. Many people also seem to think he just pressed a button and it all magically just happened. Charis took the time to learn about studio artist's may unique features, and then worked with them in a very specific way to put together a great personal body of artistic work. He also has a great sense of visual design, and takes a lot of time to put together specific collections of images that work together (color, style, etc) to create a great finished photo mosaic effect.

Here's a tip that has a number of different entry points into online tips and articles that discuss how to work with photo mosiac effects in studio artist. You should really spend some time reading through that material that tip points at, and then if you have additional questions please feel free to ask them here.

Most of Charis's work was done with movie brushes. With Studio Artist 5 you can use image folder brushes as another alternative option.

There are also new path start regionization options in V5 that let you great sub nested image segmentation without having to do it manually. Most of Charis's work was done with multiple passes of successively 2x smaller (or larger) single brush nib tiles (as opposed to using path start regionization).

In general, most successful artistic work in studio artist is done by combining different paint styles or other visual effects together to create a final 'finished' visual image. many beginners tend to forget or be unaware of that, so they look for a magic single preset that does it all as opposed to thinking about how to combine different visual effects together to work towards a finished aesthetic visual look. So you could always add additional hand painted or auto-painted touches (like alpha brush pills or whatever) to jazz up a finished image. or to add additional visual focus to detailed feature based portions of an image.

• Thank you for in-depth reply, I can fully appreciate the time, effort and skill that goes into creating these pieces of art, I have a lot to learn! I tend to learn by following YouTube videos and making my own notes as I go along and replicating other peoples work before adapting to my own ideas. I will have to do lots of research and spend hours of trial and error, I was hoping there may have been a walk through video that shows how different techniques are combined to create unique pieces of art.
    Thanks again for your reply
    Regards
    Darren
    • There are a lot of different tutorial videos available here.

Charis actually gave a public talk at some conference many years ago where he discussed studio artist and his unique approach to using it. I don't have the link anymore.

You can configure the paint synthesizer to do single brush nib tiling. brush could be procedural computational, an image, a movie file, a folder of images. You can also configure the paint synthesizer to do what we call 'path start regionization'. What this means is that the paint synthesizer first does a very detailed computational analysis of the source image, and then breaks it up into a series of different regions. these can then be filled (or painted with paint paths) in a single auto-paint action step.

It's called path start because there is a specific path start control panel module in the paint synthesizer. Auto-painting takes place by determining where paint paths are located (path start), what a paint path looks like (path shape, path angle), where a paint path ends (path end). There are different control panels for all of these different aspects of the potential paint path. There are tips on the tips site that discuss all of this.

There are a lot of specific tutorial project oriented feature posts available in the main synthetik blog (also called 'knowledge base in menus).

You can use other modules in the paint synthesizer to auto-colorize individual images in a photo mosaic (brush load control panel). You can use the 'region fill as brush' pen mode to fill regions defined by the paint path (as opposed to the normal drop a series of brush nibs along the paint path) approach to painting. So 'path start regionization' approaches to building mosaics are using that 'region fill as brush' pen mode.

Different pen modes paint in radically different ways.

I mention this because beginners wanting to get started with photo mosaic effects tend to get confused by this (tiling individual brush nibs vs auto-generated regions filled as single brush nibs).

• I will spend some time looking through those tips, I’m sure I will find the links very helpful, sincere thanks
    Darren
This reply was deleted.

On the closure of the User Forum : An open letter to John Dalton

Hi John I have no idea what you are going through. However the impact you have made not to continue with the user forum and your desire keep it as a permanent feature as promised in the past is a big shock. It also betrays the faith and love we have shown in you and Studio Artist.  Bluntly spoken, it sucks. That you have chosen to follow this direction in silence, allowing no compassion or understanding on our part is a betrayal of the deepest level. What is going on? This is not the John…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Ben Balser 12 minutes ago

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 22

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
7 Replies · Reply by Alf 7 hours ago