How to emulate the old MSG Evolver ArtMapper in SA V5.

SA 5 has some features that make it fairly easy to get going simulating the old MSG Evolver ArtMapper. The SA5 paint synthesizer is very flexible, and can emulate what the old ArtMapper did. 

I posted this as an answer to a forum discussion today, but i'm duplicating it here for future reference for people interested in the topic.

First, you want to make a path start regionize paint preset.

So, there is a paint synth macro edit command that allows you to create a default path start regionization preset in one click.

Running the Default Fill Regionize Edit macro edit command (click the arrow to run the command) edits the paint synthesizer settings to use a default path start regionize effect. It fills the individual regions with solid color.

And another one that lets you build a MSG brush off of the current MSG preset in one click.

So, clicking the Make MSG Preset macro edit command edits the current paint synthesizer so that the fill is coming from the MSG Brush Load.

This default msg brush load is going to use whatever the current msg preset is for the MSG effect. So if it's a black and white msg output texture, then every path start region will be painted with the MSG effect (which is a bw texture that might have no relationship to the source image.

SA 5 has an additional Algorithm 2 option at the bottom of the MSG Brush Load control panel. You can use that to bring up different colorization or other effects that get run on the MSG output prior to using it as a paint fill.

In the screen shot above, i have the Algorithm 2 option set to the PaintColor MeanShift effect algorithm. this performs a colorization effect based on the local source image statistics for the region being painted.

Here's a simple example.

The current MSG preset is a simple bw texture generator.

Running the Default Fill Regionize edit gives the following output.

Note that the MSG effect is not being used.

If you then run the Make MSG Paint macro edit, you get the following result.

Note how the BW texture MSG effect is now being used for each region fill.

Algorithm 2 in the MSG Brush Load control panel is set to None in this example. If i then set it to the PaintColor MeanShift option i get the following result.

Note how the individual MSG generated regions are now colorized.

There are lots of different colorization options available for Algorithm2. they all look different. Experimentation is the best way to figure out how they look.

To use a different path start regionize generator with a different visual appearance, just got the Path Start control panel and change the generator to a different regionize option. The default macro edit is using the AdvWatershed generator as seen below.

If you change that generator setting to a different regionize option ( i used Adaptive Block Regionize below), then you can generate a different visual appearence for the generated MSG filled regions.

Here's the output for generator edit shown above.

Note how the visual appearance of the individual path start regions has changed.

If you don't know how to get to the paint synth macro edit commands, they are located in the integrated help browser. Open the Help window if it's not already up in your main workspace.

Then click on the Index button at the top help toolbar to bring up the index.

Then click on the Paint Synth macro Edit link. That will bring up the paint synth macro edit commands. Clicking on any of the active link edit commands will run that macro edit.

Views: 197

Replies to This Discussion

Hi John,

Please I have sent a mail rather due to the size of the attached file with a description of what I'm referring to. Run out of data that's why I couldn't reply earlier.

Thanks again.

So the Quad Shift Mean colorization option available in MSG Evolver you pointed out in the email is not currently in Studio Artist. I can look into adding it (or something that has similar visual properties) in the future.

You could probably build a paint preset that used a relatively small brush size that colorizes the canvas using Mean Shift algorithm in Image Processing Brush Load. Use the Canvas as the Source. First run your image folder brush mosaic preset. then run the source colorizer paint preset on it afterwards. The small overlapping anti-aliased computation brush would do a reasonable job of faking the quad mean shit colorization.

Hi John

Thanks for the response. I was supposed to attach the one without colorization but still achieving the bi-level effect. Initially thought that I have added it. I've reduced the size and attached it here (the one without colorization but still achieving the bi-level color effect). Have also included two files one from normal RGB mapping and another from paint brush load. Have also sent a mail.

Thanks

Best regards.

We have discussed before that MSG Evolver had a number of different options for art mapping a photo database to a source image. Including ones that used more then 1 color vector per image block.

Studio Artist currently uses 1 color vector per image block when doing RGB match index modulation. We may add some additional extended color match options in the future.

Please John as you have indicated in your recent reply that the msg allows for more than 1 vector per image block then we could build a preset that uses 2 vectors to process it's image input (if any) and use it in Studio Artist via msg brush load.

I have access to the old msg evolver application if it had some features that made it possible to achieve more than one vector for each image block. You could give me some directions as to how to go about it.

Thanks again

Best regards.

Hello everyone,

Please what's the meaning of color vectors or 1 color vector and how does it work. Want to really learn from this forum. Would be grateful if someone could explain.

Thanks

You asked for an explanation of color vectors.

Each color vector would be an RGB color.

What we are talking about when referring to color vectors in the context of generating image mosaics is the number of color vectors used to best match an image brush with the matching portion of the source image. So one color vector means that only a single color is used to represent the coloring of the image block.

You could imagine more than one color being used. For example, you could use 4 colors, one color for each of the image block quadrants.

Using more colors could potentially give a better representation of the original source area.

Hi, please is it possible to use 2D modulation or Wacom tablet to have more than 1 color.

I'm still not getting what you are referring to when you say bi-level. Are you talking about 2 color vectors for an image match? Or something like a threshold effect (bi-level output)?

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. Please John I sent a mail this morning where I attached three files. The other two files(use normal RGB mapping and paint brush load). What I want is to use two color vectors for an image brush.

My question is if multiple applications of msg presets could be combined to achieve the effect above then there is a way where one can combine the processors responsible for creating this effect. If you could point out the processors used to create the effect during the internal processing of the art mapper, we can as well try and simulate the effect in Studio Artist.

Again, would want to know which processors within the msg uses an image as its input.

Thanks

Based on your emails to me, i think there is something you are not understanding.

The poster image art map process in MSG Evolver that matches image blocks to potions of the source image for mosaic building is not using MSG. You can route that output into MSG Effects, or you can run just MSG Effects in the Art Mapper. But the mosaic building part is not using MSG. And as you know by using it, you build a poster and feature vector database file(s) prior to doing the mapping.

So it's not like you can use MSG to build a 2 or more vector process that matches up images from a database.

Similarly, the movie index frame modulation in Studio Artist is not built using MSG processors. So you can't arbitrarily swap in MSG presets to build new index mapping options.

You can add a MSG preset to the paint synth for Brush Load processing, or to generate a MSG Source Brush, or for things like path start or path shape generation.

RSS

Latest Activity

Synthetik Software replied to smm samm's discussion Is it possible to add webgl to next version?
"My understanding of webgl is to allow opengl style graphics directly in a web browser. Studio Artist is not a web browser, so? Maybe you mean to ask, is it possible to add opengl shader style effects to Studio Artist. It is something we have been…"
2 hours ago
smm samm posted a discussion
2 hours ago
Alan posted photos
11 hours ago
Paul Perlow posted photos
11 hours ago
Synthetik Software replied to Nora Laiken's discussion Updates?
"Undo buffers can take up a lot of virtual memory. You can adjust the number of undo steps (and associated memory buffers) in the mina preferences dialog. Reducing the # of undos can help quite a bit if you are running into memory allocation issues."
11 hours ago
Thomas Stoney replied to Nora Laiken's discussion Updates?
"The virtual memory limitations you can sort of get round them, by using what ever picture you choose and what ever preset, just let It render. Don’t touch It or the virtual memory limitations will start up, and it usually freezes or…"
14 hours ago
David Buckle posted photos
yesterday
Paul Perlow posted a photo
Wednesday

© 2019   Created by Synthetik Software.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service