How to get Apple ProRes and other Codecs.

Found this useful information on the web.  You can get access to all the great Apple Codecs AND you can use them with SA.  SA defaults to Animation but I change it to ProRes 422 and the files are way smaller and look just as good as Animation.  Plus if you do have Final Cut X you have to use ProRes 422 files.  

So here is how you get access to them.  I think you need to reboot after that to have them show.  Then change the setting in SA  File>Movie Codec Settings.  Works like a charm

Sorry Windows folks this won't work on windows.

Re: Getting the ProRes Codec
by  on Oct 7, 2011 at 7:51:02 am

I've just found a way to sort this problem out that gets around this install 'problem':

In order to get these to show and also to have access to all the other georgeous 422 codecs and other goodies, download the new QT codec pack: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396

Then use the little app UNPKG ( http://www.timdoug.com/unpkg/ ) to unpack the contents by simply dragging the downloaded PKG codec pack onto the app window. This then unpacks on the desktop. Inside navigate the folders until you get to the QT .component files.

Next, drag these into your Library/Quicktime/ folder and then you'll have the LT codecs ( and many others) to use in FCP 6 and all other apps like Streamclip, QT Pro etc. (I would recommend renaming the existing ones in case of problems of course)

I've done a test with it and it works like a charm on my Mac Pro running 10.6.7 and FCP 6.0.6. I'm not able to create an LT sequence but if you create a new one and then drag the material on with the prompt enabled to match settings it will make an LT sequence. I was also able to render out a 422 LT clip from QT Pro and Streamclip to use in the project. All the correct 422 labels also show in the codec lists in all encoding apps.

If you try and install the QT pack on anything not FCP X it will give you an error but this manual installation gets around the Apple Police and their insistence you buy everything new the minute it comes out! You can keep FCP 7 and X, I'm quite happy with 6!

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 22

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Emil G. on Saturday

Having difficulty exporting canvas as image

I'd like to export a canvas as a .tiff/.tif image file to a folder I made on my desktop.I select that from a dropdown menu, I can name the exported file, change the extension, etc, and I press save but nothing happens.It's always worked until now. It seems like a simple task. Any ideas?I'm on Mac OSX 12.6, if that matters, and my system hasn't changed since the last time I was able to export successfully.Thanks  

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Tony Bouttell Mar 5