Is it possible to create mosaic with predefined grid?

There are some special mathematical form for mosaic,

Is it possible to define a special grid something like the image or to specify a customized Tile Priority through a vector/grayscale image?

Views: 133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a tip that explains the different pen modes.

Autodraw Interactive pen mode is to Interactive pen mode as Auto Region Draw as Brush is to Region Draw as Brush.

If you are only seeing a small dot, it has to do with what you have your Path Shape control panel settings edited to. The 'auto' in the names means that the paint synthesizer auto-generates a paint path and then uses that for painting. Vs the user manually defining the paint path. Again, the tip explains all of the pen modes with examples. Read it, and then if it's still unclear, ask away and i'll explain in more detail.

Normal drawing (like interactive pen mode) does what you want. Lays down a  series of individual paint nibs on a path. So by drawing one nib you just draw a rectangle (or circle) of paint. If you want the nibs to tile you setup the path application controls accordingly.

Thanks

Please I want the paint nibs to fill the flat regions (created from the image operation) by just clicking on a particular region where the brush will be clipped inside of the region.

I tried it using the selection mask. I selected a region and with selection mask turned on clicked to clip the brush within the region. It worked but the edges of painted nibs looks rough (it is not smooth).

Please could help you me on how to make it have smooth edges and is there another way to achieve this without using selection but then you directly click on the region to fill it with a brush.

Thank you very much. I'm really learning a lot.

Attachments:

As usual, there is a way to do what you want. What you want is to use the 'Grow Region from Start Point' option for the Path Type in the Path Shape control panel. That feature has been around since V1, but it has some additional options in V5 that make it much more controllable. You want to use autodraw interactive pen mode or auto region fill as brush (depending if you want paint nibs laid down on the generated region path, or the generated region filled in as one large temporary paint nib).

What it does is grow a dynamic region based on where you click the source. Prior to V5, i believe it only worked off of the color range values in the source image. In V5 you can use the Region Growth parameter to do additional things like grow based on restricted colors in the canvas. So you could click on a black circle int he canvas, and only the black circle would fill. If you are using V4, you'd have to load your shape image into the source to use it to do what you want.

Many of the other controls that come up when you pick that Path Type are identical to what you see for the Path Start Regionization path type (hatching options vs outline options, vs boundary options etc for how the path is built off of the region shape. 

You had asked about making the region edges smoother. One option is to use the region effects in the region fill as draw control panel (if you are using the auto region fill as brush pen mode). There are a few that just work to soften hard region edges giving then a more anti0aliased fill. Others are more radical special effects. They are all worth checking out.

1.Please what parameter ensures even spacing between regions when using path start regionization preset.

2. Please when using path start regionizers what parameter allows for creating an outline around regions.

3. When i save my canvas as a png file format i still have white background at beneath the artwork, please how can i resolve this issue.

One thing to keep in mind as i run through this explanation, is that the development of the paint synthesizer has a history to it. The original releases of Studio Artist did not have region fill as brush pen mode in them. Painting was originally conceived as a process of applying a series of paint nibs derived from the Brush source along the vector path associated with painting.

The notion of filling in a region with paint, or an image, or  whatever, came along later when region fill as brush pen mode was added.

The original path start regionization code pre-dates the notion of filling a region in a single operation using region fill as brush pen mode. So originally, path start regionization was about generating a series of intelligent regions derived off of the source image, and then painting them in using the original paint nibs along a path approach to painting. So if you look at the Region Pattern Types associated with the Path Start Regionization option for Path Type in the Path Shape control panel, Most of them as associated with things like building hatching patterns, or receding outline fills, that fill in the entire region with some kind of paint path. Like an artist might use to try and paint in an area of the canvas. 

So, the Outline1 option for Region Pattern Type just generates an outline path associated with the regions. In general it does ok, but occasionally the algorithm can be offset by a pixel when trying to detect and generate the region's outline into a path that will be used to fill the path shape with solid color or some image or movie brush. So if you get a bit of white show through at some region edges, it's coming from that algorithm not quite succeeding in getting the path associated for the region outline perfect.

If that happens, you can always use the Geodesic Interpolation ip op effect to fill in any white or other solid colored background cracks.

Version 5 has a RegPath Scale parameter in the Path Shape control panel that comes up when using one of the Path Start Regionization Path Type options. You can use that to adjust the scale of the region outline, making it bigger if it's set to greater than 100%, or smaller if it's set to is that 100%. So you could set it smaller if you wanted an outline.

Here's an example where RegPathScale is set to 100%.

Here's what happens if you set it to 80%.

Note that the region outlines were generated to be smaller (80%) than the actual regions themselves, leaving a lot of white background show through between the different region outlines that were filled in using region fill as brush pen mode.

Now, if i use the geodesic Interpolation ip op effect on that 80% outline fill example above

I get the following result.

Note how the very wide white background cracks between regions are now filled in by extrapolating the existing non white coloring in the original cracked image. this is a pretty extreme example of filling in a white crack, if you use this effect on 1 or 2 pixel wide cracks you will never even know it was used, it does a great job of filling in cracks.

I hope this long winded explanation answered your 3 questions. If not, let me know what you want more info on and i'll try to provide additional explanation.

One other thing i wanted to point out. You ask about creating outlines around solid filled regions. You can do that as 2 separate steps in a PASeq. You first use path start regionization to fill in the regions with solid color. But if you read through the explanation i just wrote you, you know that outline paths are generated for the regions. If you don't use region fill as brush pen mode, then the outline path will just be painted in with individual paint nibs spaced out along the generated outline paths.

So, as a second step, you can run the exact same path start regionization code, but use interactive pen mode and something like a small black brush nib to draw solid black paint outlines around your previously drawn solid colored regions.

If you do this, you will want to make sure you turn off any potential randomization options in the paint synthesizer associated with the region shapes, because you want them to be identical.

You could of course always record them into the bezier pathframe during the first fill in the whole region paint step, and then derive your black outlines from the recorded bezier paths. So that's an alternative way to approach this kind of thing.

As always, there are usually multiple approaches to solving any problem in Studio Artist.

One more quick tip. If you are using a path start regionization generator that generates rectangular regions, then using a Region Pattern Type like Rect Boundary may work better for you than Outline1. As far as insuring complete rectangular paths with no cracks. Rect Boundary analyzes the entire region, and generates a rectangular path at it's boundary.

would you please give us a preset?

Here's an old blog post that discusses a similar approach to what i described below. It's filling a paint synth generated pantograph tiling pattern with a photo mosaic movie brush, but the basic idea applies to any black and white tiling image you would want to use.

RSS

Latest Activity

Synthetik Software replied to ASARE CHRISTIAN's discussion THE BRUSH SOURCE CONTROL PANEL
"If you want to use the image brush's alpha channel for the brush shape (and associated anti-aliasing), you need to use the Source Alpha brush type. Otherwise, 255 white in the brush rgb channels masks the brush out, and 254 to 0 blends if your…"
18 hours ago
ASARE CHRISTIAN replied to ASARE CHRISTIAN's discussion THE BRUSH SOURCE CONTROL PANEL
"Please I am using source brush under the brush type control panel."
18 hours ago
ASARE CHRISTIAN replied to ASARE CHRISTIAN's discussion THE BRUSH SOURCE CONTROL PANEL
"Yes please"
19 hours ago
Synthetik Software replied to ASARE CHRISTIAN's discussion THE BRUSH SOURCE CONTROL PANEL
"Are you talking about one of the graffiti grid scan presets from V4? They don't use the Source Alpha brush type. "
19 hours ago
"i'm using Graffiti preset"
19 hours ago
"Without access to the specific paint preset you are using as well as the png brush images, it's hard to comment on the colored edges. Could be a function of how the particular paint preset is programmed. As far as reducing repeating brush…"
19 hours ago
"Hi Thanks for the response. Please how do you setup studio Artist to avoid repeating the same brush frame but to alternate brush frames that best fits a specific colour space within the source image during manual painting of photo mosaics. Again…"
20 hours ago
Paul Perlow posted a photo
23 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Synthetik Software.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service