John, I've attempted to warp a mask using the source, set to selection, in the editor window. But, that seems to work on the selected image area not the mask itself. I've tried different permutations of the settings with the mask active versus inactive as well. No joy. So the question - how do I, or can I, directly warp a mask without affecting the underlying image? The workflow I'm envisioning would be: make a selection, warp that selection and then enable the selection to paint back into it. Is that even possible in Studio Artist? Thanks!

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, you can warp a selection.

You need to set the Interactive Warp Source to Selection.

And you need to set the Composite to Replace Region Selection.

2472643705?profile=original

This will use the contents of the selection buffer as the input to the interactive warp, and then route the output back to the selection buffer ( as opposed to placing it into the current canvas layer).

So here's my starting selection

2472659838?profile=original

Here's a screenshot in the middle of doing the interactive sphere warp on the selection

2472660110?profile=original

And here's the finished selection at the conclusion of the interactive warp process

2472660128?profile=original

All 3 of the above screen shots are from a section of the current canvas. I have the Mask checkbox turn on for the first and 3rd screenshot, so i can see the contents of the slection as a mask on the canvas. I have Mask turned off for the second image (when i am actually doing the interactive warp), because i don't want to use the selection to mask my warp. I want to warp my selection mask.

I assume this is what you were asking to do. If i mis-interpreted your question let me know.

• Thanks John

I always wondered about this. It opens an entirely new universe for me. Exciting!

• You can use this same working metaphor to take any of studio artist's processing effects and use them to manipulate the selection mask. Like anyy of the Ip Op effects for instance.

Here's the Geodesic Recursive Growth ip Op control panel, configured to process the selection (it will generate an adjustable feathering effect).

2472644002?profile=original

The last selection mask (#3) in the post above was used as the input to the ip op effect shown above (configured to use the selection buffer as it's Ip Source input, and output to the selection buffer (again by setting Composite to Replace Region Selection. The result of using this ip op with this particular set of edited parameters to process that selection mask is shown below.

2472643936?profile=original

• Yep, that ought to do it. I overlooked the replace region selection option totally. And, I was using the self rotate warp which threw me off since I didn't actually see any rotation just a translation.

This brings up one more question related to warping. Is there a throttle control for sensitivity when warping using a Wacom? The new Macs are incredibly efficient and fast compared to the older models. I overshoot the warp (or adjustment) all the time. Seems "twitchy" (non-linear) with the Wacom. It would be nice to have a setting where the pen movement-to-warp/adjustment effect occurred over a larger physical distance on the tablet thereby translating into a more linear (smoother) increment of adjustment or warp. This scenario applies to the actual warp or adjustment of an image (not the mask).

Thanks again.

• In studio artist 3.5 you could use the s key as a modifier to slow down the effect of mouse movement on interactive warp.

This appears to kind of work in version 4, but it looks like there might be some issues with it that need cleaning up so that it works more consistently and correctly across all of the different warp types. So you can try that, your results will vary depending on the warp type.

In my tests it seems to be very inconsistent in it's effect, depending on the particular warp type. Sometimes it's useful, other times it seems to not be working, or not working like you would really want it to.

So i'll look into cleaning up the behavior so that it's more uniformly consistent, and making sure it gets added into the version hot key guide once we get it fixed up and working properly. 

This reply was deleted.

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 22

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Emil G. on Saturday

Having difficulty exporting canvas as image

I'd like to export a canvas as a .tiff/.tif image file to a folder I made on my desktop.I select that from a dropdown menu, I can name the exported file, change the extension, etc, and I press save but nothing happens.It's always worked until now. It seems like a simple task. Any ideas?I'm on Mac OSX 12.6, if that matters, and my system hasn't changed since the last time I was able to export successfully.Thanks  

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Tony Bouttell Mar 5