Path interpolation questions

Hi, I'm getting into studying the things that can be done with paths.  I've read all the posts on the synthetik.com blog site about them.  I'm getting lost in a couple of places.

at:

http://www.synthetik.com/tips/2008/08/what-to-do-with-bezier-paths/comment-page-1/

there is this:

"

Or the paint synthesizer can use the individual bezier paths as internal keyframes that are interpolated over time in an animation or while drawing.  

bezier path shape interpolation example

When used with the region Fill as Brush pen mode this provides a way to generate a dynamic brush shape from the interpolating animation of the individual bezier paths.

bezier brush shape interpolation example

"

But it doesn't really say HOW to do it.  I am particularly interested in the bezier path shapes as internal keyframes that are interpolated over time, as in the first movie example there, the one that looks like swimming jelly fish.  I know how to record a path and have it saved in a paint preset, but I can't figure out how to make those paths do the interpolating animation, and the blog posts I have found don't say exactly how to accomplish it.  Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! - Thor Johnson

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, there are different approaches.

You can use bezier context action steps in a PASeq. If they are keyframed, then they will interpolate their internal stored bezier paths over time between keyframes. The bezier context action step sets up the bezier path frame for the associated layer. So then you could use Path commands to paint with the contents of the bezier path frame.

The paint synth also has an associated internal bezier path frame. So that is stored in the actual paint preset. And a paint action step that uses the internal bezier path frame can also be key-framed in a PASeq. So that's another way to do it.

I probably have the animating jellyfish preset you mentioned around somewhere, so let me look for that and then i can post it for you if you don't have it.

• Here's a Dual Mode Paint preset that does the swimming jelly fish animation. It's using time particles for the multiple 'jelly fish'. Each jelly fish is based on interpolating through a set of bezier paths over time that are stored in the internal bezier path frame in the paint synth part of the preset. If you draw with the pen while in paint synth op mode you can see it cycle interpolate through the various bezier paths stored in the internal bezier path frame.

The Dual Mode Paint preset is attached below.

The complete jelly fish is drawn with one bezier path. So it's kind of sloppy, and was just meant as an example to show off the Cycle Interpolate Internal Path Memory1 option for the Path Type in the Path Shape control panel.

2472685653?profile=original

jellyFishBezInterpEx2.zip

• Thank you John!
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

The Overload

"The Overload"! A video with music, from the various experiments I made in Studio Artist with stuff that I have learned in the last few days, from tips and tricks I found by scouring this site and the Synthetik site for tutorials etc. MSG! Paint Synth with MSG Path Generation! Movie Brushes with MSG Path Start Generation! Time Particles! Time Particles with MSG Path Start Generation running Movie Brushes! All that, and more! Haha I have been trying to stretch the Paint Synthesizer in the…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 31

Teenage Tongue Cult

Hi, here is the video I made back in 2010 for my song "Teenage Tongue Cult". I finally found my master folder of image sequence files for it on one of my old hard drives, and since the version I had on my Vimeo was of pretty terrible pixelated low quality visually, I re-did it yesterday. It has extensive use of Studio Artist through the whole thing. I made it by first animating the characters and scenes in Flash, against a mostly kind of muddy green background, a color I knew wasn't being used…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 30