PATH START REGIONISATION

Please i'm working on a project using one of the regionization preset and i want the region i draw to be filled with the part of the image brush that best match or suits the source image. I'm using image folder brush and anytime i draw the region to be filled with the brush, it will be filled with parts that i dont want.

Then again i'm using RGB Mapping under the Brush control panel.

Could you please help me out.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you are using RGB Mapping for you image folder brush indexing, then it's choosing the best color match from the set of images in the folder. Do you want the image to be selected differently then that (best color match)?

One thing to try. Look in the paint Color Source control panel. Near the bottom is a control called Override Color. Normally the color is generated from the path start point. So that would be occurring if the Override Color control is set to Off. But for path start regionization, it's often better to generate the color from a complete statistical sampling of the entire region. If you change Override Color to Regionize Color, then that will happen. That might give you better closest color since the color sampling will be taking place over all of the pixels in the generated region.

• Hi thanks for the help, 

Again how can I make the brush (image folder brush) fill the canvas  to suit two different shades in the source image with a single dab of paint. (In this instance when using any of the pen modes that fills a region with color or image brush)

• Can you explain this second question in more detail. I'm not sure what you are asking for?

• For example I have a flower image colored red and yellow and I want the region I draw to show both red and yellow portions of the flower image and still have  the region i drew represent the source image.

Or some portions within the source image will require me to apply the brush twice ( i.e manually drawing two regions) on the canvas  as a result of different tones within the source image but would want the brush to fill such portions by drawing only one region.

• Ok, i think i got it. SA5 movie brush or image folder brush indexing is focused on the aggregate properties of the entire region (or the entire movie frame or image being analyzed for placement). As opposed to trying to take into account localized statistical arrangement and match that up between the source image and localized components of the individual movie frame or images. We've thought about adding additional indexing options that would be better at what you want to do at some point in the future.

It's kind of a shame that Apple Computer goes out of their way to prevent you from running legacy software. Because the MSG Evolver application we used to ship with Studio Artist did have some indexing options that did what you want to do.

As far as normal painting trying to match bi-level color or shape statistics based on where it's being dropped in the canvas. That's an interesting idea. So i'll add it to things to think about for the future.

Most of the paint synthesizer features tend to go the opposite direction, like brush size modulation that tightens the nib to a specific color's position.

• Hi, thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it.

This means for now its not possible to achieve that in SA be it on Mac or Windows. Or can I use the MSG Evolver to achieve it on PC. Please if possible how.

Again what brush size modulators tightens the brush nib to a specific color position. Thanks 

• MSG Evolver was a mac only program. It also was written for PPC, not intel chips, which was the only option available when it was written. Apple used to provide an emulator that allowed PPC code to run on intel macs. They stopped supporting that, leaving their customers unable to run legacy applications.

Brush modulators are in the Brush Modulation control panel. Look under the large number of options available for Size Modulation control there. Specific Color position ones are pretty obvious (LocalLum Dif, LocalColor Dif, ColorRange, ColorRange at Radius).

• Hi,

Pleas I'm having an old version of SA ( v3 and v4). Please can you show me the MSG imdexing options that can allow me to achieve the effect we discussed earlier on. 

Please I really need it because it will reduce the number of smaller tiles or shapes  which are very difficult to see and i can't  have large canvas size since I'm using Windows OS.

Thanks.

• Hi thanks for the update.

Please is there a way to achieve the effect created by the MSG evolver art mapper using path start  regionisation features of SA.

Thanks

• Please thanks for the response. John, please I know how to achieve sub-nesting of mosaic tiles using the path start and path application control panels of the paint synthesizer.

I once asked a question on how to achieve bi-level color/shape (Trying to take into account localized statistical arrangement and match that up between the source image and localized components of the individual movie frame or images. ). We arrived that the old art mapper application can create this effect.

So with your help I was able to get the old msg evolver application where I tried the art mapper effect and it worked perfectly.

The effect is clearly seen at the edges of the source image. The applied brush is positioned according to the color/tonal flow of the source image (Sent a portion of the results yesterday.)

But I realized that manual painting is not possible in evolver, so my main question is, is there a way, if possible to achieve the effect I had in evolver using paint synthesizer with movie brush or image folder brush of the same images I used in the photo database.  Not that I have not tried the tips you explained, I tried them but the brush only represent one color within the source image as oppose to tonal variations within the source image.

Again I have seen this effect (bi-level color/shape) in Tsevis works.

This reply was deleted.

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson on Friday

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Emil G. on Saturday

Having difficulty exporting canvas as image

I'd like to export a canvas as a .tiff/.tif image file to a folder I made on my desktop.I select that from a dropdown menu, I can name the exported file, change the extension, etc, and I press save but nothing happens.It's always worked until now. It seems like a simple task. Any ideas?I'm on Mac OSX 12.6, if that matters, and my system hasn't changed since the last time I was able to export successfully.Thanks  

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Tony Bouttell Mar 5