problem processing folder of images

Hello,

So I'm having a strange problem where I

1) process a movie to a folder of images: folder X.

2) then, I process (with a different PASeq) the images of folder X to a new folder of images , folder Y.

Here's the problem: processing the movie to folder X resulted in a series of frames: f1, f2, f3, etc. However, processing the images from folder X to a new set of images in folder Y results in frames with the following order: f1, f2, then skips to f10-20, then to f100, etc. In other words, the frames aren't being written from 1 to n, but in the order I described.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just tried it with another set of images, and got a resulting frame order of

f1, f10-f19, f100, etc

• Are you on a mac or windows? And what os version?

Maybe we need to move to an explicit preference based numbering scheme of something like name0001,name0002, etc for our numbered output. I don't have any real control over the results of a folder scan, it gets passed back to me in what it thinks is alphabetical order. And different operating systems can interpret name numbering differently, even between different version of an os on the same computer platform, let alone different computer platform.

I actually thought we had dealt with this before at some point.  What Action menu commands are you using for your processing? I can look under the hood at how it's currently implemented try and get a fix in the next 4.04 beta.

• I'm on a mac, OS 10.5.8.

This happens when I write an image sequence using the "Process with Paint Action Sequence->image to image," (actually this happens with "movie to image" as well), and then read those images in to create another sequence. In other words, this happens when the image sequence that I'm reading in was created by SA. I'm pretty sure, but not 100% positive that this does not happen when I try to read in an image sequence that was written by QT Pro (I can try to verify this).

• The problem, at least on this computer/system, seems to be in the way that SA writes out the image sequence. When I have SA write the image sequence, and then read it back in with either SA or Photoshop, it gets read in the wrong order. When I use Quicktime to write out the image sequence, it gets read in properly by both SA and PS.

PS uses "<nameoffile> 0001" , which seems to work...

• I'll fix it in 4.04, and try to include the fix in the next beta build i promised you. I really thought we dealt with this whole issue in the past a long time ago, but maybe as a part of the version 4 rewrite or some other 'fix' the extra proceeding 000x part of the name generation got changed.
        • thanks so much, again no hurry, but just wanted to see if there was some fix in the preferences or something that I didn't know about.

I can confirm that on my system, image sequences written by SA are named file1, file2, etc., with no 000x thing...

• i had the same problem a couple of days ago.
  • So i'm currently fixing this issue. I had a few questions for anyone who cares about this particular frame numbering issue.

Is it ok to just have a fixed number of digits for the numbering, and if so what should that be? Or do people feel a need to specify it as a preference option.

Also, any other special requests for frame naming or numbering features, while i'm reworking this code?

• The way Photoshop does it seems to work with all my other apps: "filename 000x" (there is a space). Thanks for looking at this!
    • I mentioned this once before, but will repeat it here. I would find it infinitely more useful if the numbering of movie files followed the frame number vs the image processed number. Right now if I am processing a movie to a list of images the image numbering is such that the first frame processed is image 001.. now if it happens that I am starting at the first frame and don't stop or crash this is fine. But if I am starting at frame 500 or if the process is stopped and I have to re-start then the numbering from 001 (all over again) can create massive confusion. I have a kludged workaround. But it would be great if the numbering followed the frame sequence such that if I start or restart from frame 500 the numbering would start at 500.
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13

The Overload

"The Overload"! A video with music, from the various experiments I made in Studio Artist with stuff that I have learned in the last few days, from tips and tricks I found by scouring this site and the Synthetik site for tutorials etc. MSG! Paint Synth with MSG Path Generation! Movie Brushes with MSG Path Start Generation! Time Particles! Time Particles with MSG Path Start Generation running Movie Brushes! All that, and more! Haha I have been trying to stretch the Paint Synthesizer in the…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 31

Teenage Tongue Cult

Hi, here is the video I made back in 2010 for my song "Teenage Tongue Cult". I finally found my master folder of image sequence files for it on one of my old hard drives, and since the version I had on my Vimeo was of pretty terrible pixelated low quality visually, I re-did it yesterday. It has extensive use of Studio Artist through the whole thing. I made it by first animating the characters and scenes in Flash, against a mostly kind of muddy green background, a color I knew wasn't being used…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 30