Replies

• Please can someone help me out. Really need it.

• Ok, since you are in V4, we will ignore all of the fabulous V5 features one could use for this.

Goto Bezier Operation Mode. Make sure you are in the Editor. Set the main Bezier Editor control panel to Bezier Draw.

Set the DrawType to LineTo Region.

Then draw out your manual region using a series of straight lines. To start a new line segment in the shape, while you are drawing the line using the mouse or pen, press the command key to end the previous straight segment and start a new one.  Don't lift the mouse or pen until you finish drawing the entire region.

When you mouse up at the end of drawing, it automatically finishes off the region with a straight line from the start point to the end point of the bezier path you just created. So it's now a bezier region in the Bezier Path Frame for the current layer.

Switch the operation mode to the Paint Synthesizer. Select an appropriate preset to draw your regions. Then use the Path : paint Paths : Full Layer menu command to automatically paint in all of the shapes you made while in Bezier operation mode that are stored in the current layer's bezier path frame.

If you need more help, point out what you are having a problem with and i'll go into more detail.

• Hi John,

Please thanks for the reply.Please I can't see the PChain, Bus and the other tab list in the msg advanced editor. Please could you help me out.

Again please is there a way to have a collection of images (not built from msg presets but your own images) within the msg evolver and set up the paint synthesizer to use these images as brushes for pain

Please does v4  movie brush indexing uses the whole movie frame of brush or just a localised area that best suits the region its filling or painting.

Finally can you explain msg database. The information on msg contained in the user guide is very technical. Please is there a video that explains the msg evolver in detail.

Thanks

IMG_20190314_193938.jpg

IMG_20190314_193912.jpg

• If you are on windows, it's possible to pull the contents of the msg advanced editor list display all the way to the right, hiding it from view. It's easy to fix, just mouse down in the far right side of the palette where there is a vertical splitter control, and then pull it to the left. The contents should pop into view. Then mouse up.

• You can't load a set of images directly into msg presets. 

You could use msg processing in a paint preset, and run the current source brush into the msg processing there. 

• V4 movie indexing for things like rgb coloring does use the entire contents of the brush image.

• here's a tip onevolving and editing msg presets.

there are also a ton of msg related articles in our blog.

• There is a msg tutorial video in our training videos (use the msg filter at the top to filter the listed videos to the tip topic).

• Hi John,

Please can you explain in detail how the 1D and 2D index modulation works and how to use it bulid photo mosaic effects. Read the user guide but didn't understand it.

Again please can you expound on how to simulate the art mapper effect of the old msg effects using 2D index mapping in a movie brush or if possible image folder brush.

Thanks.

• 1D refers to 1 dimension. 2D refers to 2 dimensions.

A movie is a series of frames in order. So frame indexing is just using some modulator to derive the current frame in the movie to be used as a brush.

So this is 1 dimensional.

2D can be simulated in a single loaded movie brush by passing multiple movies of the same # of frames end by end in a new longer movie file. So even though it's just sone sequential movie, you can think of it as 2 dimensional. the first dimension is the indexing into a single sub movie's frames. the second is indexing into which sub movie.

so let's say you have 4 movies each 10 frames long.

and you paste them back to back in a new movie that is now 40 frames long.

so if you are using 2D modulation in the Brush Source control panel.

you have 2 modulators, the A and the B modulators.

And you also need to define the A frame length.

So, in our simple example, A would correspond to indexing inside of one of the individual movies, and B would be indexing into a specific movie file to be used for the A indexing.

The A dimension is 10 frames.

So A indexing indexes into a 10 frame movie.

B indexing indexes into which of the 4 movies will be used for A indexing.

This lets you have 2 different modulators.

So you could index using pressure and orientation for example.

You could generate 4 different oriented brush shapes, 10 sizes for each oriented brush shape.

And build a movie brush that contains all of that as described above.

If you just used 1 modulator, you could index by pressure or orientation, but not both. With 2D modulation you can index  using both,

So this is a simple example of why 2D modulation can be useful.

What you can do with it is really only limited by your imagination.

there's an old discussion on the user forum with Thor where he asked how you could make a movie brush that played back different movies, and build a movie mosaic out of it. So like a photo mosaic, but individual movie files play back inside of the individual mosaic tiles as opposed to just static images displayed there. i described in detail how to do it and posted an example i think. Thor figured it out reading that.

This is what the old ArtMapper let you do automatically. generate a movie mosaic. one of many different things you could do with it.

here's a tip on simulating the artmapper section of msg evolver in SA 4.

Everything in the tip is available in SA5, but there are way more path start regionization options in V5.

Painter had this notion of 2D modulation where you used it to 2 dimensionally index into sub regions of a larger single image. studio artist lets you do it using a single movie file. Easier to generate and work with i think.

so what about image folder brushes. SA looks at the images in the folder and thinks of them as a single movie file. N images in the folder, N images in the simulated movie file. They are organized sequentially by alphabetical order. So name things accordingly in the individual images in the folder.

This reply was deleted.

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson on Friday

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Emil G. on Saturday

Having difficulty exporting canvas as image

I'd like to export a canvas as a .tiff/.tif image file to a folder I made on my desktop.I select that from a dropdown menu, I can name the exported file, change the extension, etc, and I press save but nothing happens.It's always worked until now. It seems like a simple task. Any ideas?I'm on Mac OSX 12.6, if that matters, and my system hasn't changed since the last time I was able to export successfully.Thanks  

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Tony Bouttell Mar 5