Sizing canvas image

Hello,

I am a VERY newcomer to Studio Artist working my way through the maze of options!

I am curious to know why my image becomes an odd squished (top to bottom) size when it hits the canvas and if anyone can tell me if there is a way to control this.   It distorts the image making any people or object SHORT and FAT!

thanks,

Janet

FrogboyVenice.jpg

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• When you erase the canvas to the source image, the source image loaded into the canvas gets automatically sized to whatever you have the canvas set to. Same thing for any effects you run on the source image, if they are processing the source image, then the output will map to whatever size and aspect ratio the current canvas is set to.

So if you loaded a horizontal aspect source image, but you had a vertical aspect canvas, then the aspect ratio of the source image would be changed as it gets mapped into the entire canvas.

If you use the File : New Source and Canvas menu command when you load a new source image, then that menu command also brings up a sizing dialog that lets you set the size and aspect ratio of the working canvas. So you can set that up with the same aspect ratio as the source image you just selected if that is what you are looking to use while working with that source image.

• If you have added the source to the canvas without resizing the canvas to match the source ratio you can do this afterward by using the Canvas::Resize Canvas command.

• Thank you!  Very easy.   I'm sure these issues are in the manual but not easy to find.

Moving along now...

janet

• Another issue:  I just printed an image using "Adaptive filter9"  The background is black, no pixels showing up.   Wherever there was solid black on the screen(CANVAS moved to PScc) image there is now a splotchy green.  The other areas are exactly as they are on the screen... just the black didn't like being printed.   A simple solution for this one too?

Thanks again,

Janet

• There are settings in different versions of photoshop associated with color management. With some of those color management settings, photoshop will try and auto-convert the color of an image you open in photoshop that is not specifically tagged with color profile information.

You should turn that behavior off in photoshop. You don't want photoshop to do anything to modify the pixel colors of a image you are loading into photoshop that you generated in Studio Artist. As you can see, when it does that, it changes the color of the pixels in the image you are opening in potentially bad ways.

It sounds like this is what is going on. 

Studio Artist does not explicitly tag its output images with any sort of color profile information. When you are generating an image in Studio Artist you are generating it in the RGB color space of your specific computer monitor.

This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13