Working with Alpha Channels to achieve transparency

Hi All,

I have racked my brain trying to figure out how to get a layer underneath to show through when painting on the layer above. I have turned off and on alphas, (set to full on, selection, source alpha...)

Can someone please walk me through the steps and settings to enable me to paint on layers and have all show through full opacity? 

I am sure this is a simple fix, but I am used to transparencies in layers so I am sure I am missing something.

Thanks.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Maybe I could not understand your meaning because of my English, but with these options I think there is not any limitation in layers. (only you can not save your layers to "Layered PSD files".)

2472688468?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• hi heather, I did not use layers often:

layer 1 replace 100%
    layer 2 replace 100%
    LAYER VIEW ALL
    I paint on layer 2 and can look through to layer 1
    If I mute layer 2 in the layer-menu I see only the content of layer 1

perhaps this helps

Layer2mute.png

Layer2Paint..png

• heather: forget this post, it#s nonsens;-) Layer 2 is only a copy of layer 1, so it´s not real a view through, so I had to trial and error with this issue too now, sorry, may be JD could guide us?

• HI Max,

Thanks for the reply.

What I am looking for is how to replicate transparent layers like photoshop. For instance, I paint on layer 1. I then paint a little bit more on layer 2. When I paint on layer 2, wherever I don't paint, the layer below shows through without using min or max or etc. I'd like it to just be transparent so whatever I am painting lays on top and the rest underneath shows through. The best way to describe it would like painting on layers of glass so whatever layer I am on the background shows through, true color and opacity. I'd like SA to act like I am painting on layers of glass, instead of a white or black background. I hope that makes sense, it is hard to explain.
        Thanks,
        Heather

• Hi Heather, I think SA doesn't support transparent layers in that traditional photoshop-, artrage-, painter, affinityphoto-, etc.-way, so it complicate your desired operations.

https://tips.synthetik.com/working-with-alpha-channels-in-layers/

I've tested a method with "current view as new layer"
          (Canvas: Layer: Current view as new Layer)
          so I paint on layer 1, next current view as new layer; paint on this, etc...
          I personally did't need this, but it works for this test as a expedient.
          (sure you could not do really subsequent changes in it and this is not what you want)

You should request "New transparent Layer" as a feature request for 6

currentView..png

• You can paint in alpha enabled layers in Studio Artist.

You won't see a checkerboard background for a non-painted alpha-off layer. So that's the thing that is different from those other programs. That and the fact that they always have alpha enabled.

Solid color shows through instead of the checkerboard in Studio Artist. You can set that color that does show through in Canvas : Alpha : Background : Set to menus. Not seeing the checkerboard is what i think is throwing you. try the gray option maybe to help distinguish.

You need to have alpha view enabled (canvas : alpha : enable for view). And you need to have Canvas : Alpha : Paint Synth Alpha Enable on if you want the paint synthesizer to draw into the alpha channel as well as the normal RGB channels.

The most common error is not erasing the alpha channel in the layer before you start painting into it. The normal erase menus set the alpha full on for the layer, and set the RGB to the erase color. use the Full Erase command (Canvas : Full Erase menu). that also erases the alpha channel.

You can use the view options for the current layer to View Cur Alpha Only if you need to debug what is going on. This will show you what is in the alpha channel.

More layer. Sorry for the delay in answering. Dealing with an incoming hurricane in Hawaii right now.

Again, here a tip.

Suggest you work with simple paint presets while figuring out how to work with painting with alpha enabled. Shift click the Init button at the bottom of the Editor in paint synth op mode, and you will re-initialize the paint. Good place to start.

Dave Nagel made a bunch of paint presets specifically to use for alpha enabled painting (including alpha enabled erasers). they are probably archived on this site. I can dig them up for you. Depending on how a particular paint preset is configured, you might want to tweak it if you are working with alpha. 

• "The most common error is not erasing the alpha channel in the layer before you start painting into it. The normal erase menus set the alpha full on for the layer, and set the RGB to the erase color. use the Full Erase command (Canvas : Full Erase menu). that also erases the alpha channel."

I checked this out and tested again, this works well, thankYou!

• Thank you for the reply. I have requested, as have some others.  

This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13

The Overload

"The Overload"! A video with music, from the various experiments I made in Studio Artist with stuff that I have learned in the last few days, from tips and tricks I found by scouring this site and the Synthetik site for tutorials etc. MSG! Paint Synth with MSG Path Generation! Movie Brushes with MSG Path Start Generation! Time Particles! Time Particles with MSG Path Start Generation running Movie Brushes! All that, and more! Haha I have been trying to stretch the Paint Synthesizer in the…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 31

Teenage Tongue Cult

Hi, here is the video I made back in 2010 for my song "Teenage Tongue Cult". I finally found my master folder of image sequence files for it on one of my old hard drives, and since the version I had on my Vimeo was of pretty terrible pixelated low quality visually, I re-did it yesterday. It has extensive use of Studio Artist through the whole thing. I made it by first animating the characters and scenes in Flash, against a mostly kind of muddy green background, a color I knew wasn't being used…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 30