Robert Crumb Challenge

Robert Crumb is probably one of the really great illustrators of our time. So i thought it would be fun to start a specific Studio Artist challenge project oriented at trying to analyze and then recreate his specific stylistic approaches to illustration.

Again, the goal here is to use Studio Artist to create and solve the entire challenge effect. A fully automatic solution would be true genius. A manual technique or step by step recipe to produce the artistic stylings associated with the artist is also a totally acceptable solution to the challenge.

I picked a specific black and white Crumb illustration i have posted below to use as a specific example of his powerful illustration style for you to try and emulate using Studio Artist.

Someone here at the office thinks there is a pretty close relationship between Crumb's work and our previous ongoing challenge project involving the illustration work of Joseph Ciardiello. They seem very different to me, other people here feel they are similar.

So we're very curious about your own personal viewpoints as we try to analyze and break down the technical elements that work together to make a Crumb illustration work so well.

And once we do that, of course then the ultimate goal is to recreate those technical stylistic elements within Studio Artist to reproduce the particular aesthetic styling that make this artist so unique, and his work so powerful.

Feel free to include in your posts other example's of Crumb's artwork if you feel they would be useful to the discussion taking place in this particular challenge.

Good luck, let this new Studio Artist challenge begin.

We alluded a little while ago about possibly trying to introduce some actual physical prize element to our recent Studio Artist challenges. We hope to post some more specific information about that on the users forum soon.

I can say that the winner of any particular challenge is going to be the person who is most helpful and open at providing and sharing information here in the challenge forum posts that can lead other Studio Artist users to fully understand what is going on technically in the challenge example art work, and also most helpful at explaining how to approach duplicating those techniques using features available within Studio Artist.

The whole point of these challenge projects is for us to learn more about the technical elements that make up different artist's personal aesthetic stylings, and how to use Studio Artist to duplicate those effects. So we all learn more about art, and we all learn more about Studio Artist.

Of course the other point of these challenges is to help us here at Synthetik Software understand if we need to add new features to Studio Artist in order to successfully complete some of these challenges. Or if it's just something that is already easy (or difficult) to do with the existing tools available in the program today. And if the answer is difficult, then maybe we should figure out how to make it easier for people.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –