Happy 2018 - Paint Synth collections

Adding something to the wonderfully endless options the Paint Synthesizer feature allows. The attached presets are all Paint Synthesizer presets.

I focus mostly on using SA (v5) for hand painting. The sets included here are all originally designed for hand application on the canvas... Drawing and painting. Most are geared towards smaller canvases - something in the range of a max of 3000x3000 pixels at 150 dpi. I use a stylus to draw/paint and depend on pressure for several effects. My preference for a "paint" look is something with texture in it that isn't a strict emulation of natural media. I am including both raster and vector Paint Synth presets. The vector presets can produce art that can be recorded in a PAS and exported to SVG pretty successfully.

In the zip: CD_hdmedia_additions_18 - is a collection of raster tools for painting wet-like textured lines and brush strokes.

CD_hdmedia_additions_19a - is another collection of raster tools with a "wet" theme.

CD_vect_experiments_w112017 - is a collection of vector-based Paint Synth presets - again most of these are made with a wet textured look as an intended result.

CD_fingerpaint-experiments.zip

CD_fingerpaint-experiments - is a set of raster "thick" pigment applicators that are fun to dabble with.

CD_vect_OBoptions.zip

CD_vect_OBoptions - is a set of vector tools that produce a nice set of thick looking strokes that can produce a nice textured look and still export as SVG pretty faithfully. I used some of these presets for the textured look of the "fills" here: OB_king.jpg

Hope the attachments get thru alright and the users here find something fun in the collections. Thanks to John D. and Synthetik for SA - Have a great 2018!

CD_hdmedia_additions_18.zip

CD_hdmedia_additions_19a.zip

CD_vect_experiments_w112017.zip

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thank you for your creative presets.
    Do you thunk is it possible to simulate this kind of water colors too?
    expresii painting

• There are a lot of different ways to create watercolor style effects in Studio Artist. Rather than look for one 'magic' preset that does it all in a single paint preset, think about how to combine all of the different things that Studio Artist can do to get to where you want to end up artistically.

So work with different ways to distribute coloring on the canvas. Dry or wet paint, Solid or scratchy. Solid transparent shapes or color fringed. image processing effects that lay down appropriate coloring. Etc.

And different ways to work with water blend or splatter presets to get to where you want to end up. Pen tilt directional water flows. Hand blending water effects. Automatic drip water effects. Etc.

• I became aware of the the “engine” behind Expresii around 2005 http://www.expresii.com/about-us.html when it was called Moxi. I was jealous that the demos were being posted (I wanted to play with it!) - AND was disappointed that the platform the engine was running on back then was exclusively PC/Windows… Still is so far - with future intentions of making a Mac/iOS version. I am a Mac user.

I noted the Moxi demos back then to the SA folks (could be in the forum that Synthetic was using before Ning) as an interesting development in desktop grade computer graphics. I brought up the same question you did. Can SA do something like this? The answer is: Yes (sort of) and no (not really)! 

My experience with Studio Artist is that it is a very different kind of art application. SA does have a strong “wet mix” (as John Dalton has described it) touch. Much more interaction between pigment and strokes than -for instance- Photoshop. That wet mix quality is attractive - and I have personally been caught up in the notion that SA can be made to emulate natural media in a lot of ways… But I find that the more I try to make SA emulate natural media - the less fun the application is to use. Less inspiring as well. The natural media emulation experience is self limiting in a lot of ways (in my experience)… I find that I like Studio Artists semi-inability to make faithful natural media emulations - because I am forced back into making the expression and intent (rather than the appearance) of my painting the number one priority.

That said. I am probably the most guilty of trying to make tools in SA that emulate natural media in some way or another and may be the most active person developing natural media like presets… Some of the presets I have made and passed on to Synthetik ship with the application itself… There are also lots of SA Paint Synth presets out there on the forum that do a passable job at emulating natural media. A good many are probably posted here in this Cool Preset Sharing Group. I apologize for not being able to add easy links to possible presets… I am not so good at navigating the forum that I could point you to postings.

Have a look around in the group here for tools you might use.

As to wether Synthetik is likely to add fluid dynamics (or whatever the Expresii engine is emulating) - that is a question for John D. I find myself less an advocate for natural media emulation as such and more and more an advocate for “textured media” - something rich and colorful - that can’t be done, except thru software.

Cheers!

This reply was deleted.