New Studio Artist 4.03 Paint Presets

The preset elves are still working on finishing up final details for the new version 4 preset collections, but i wanted to provide a download of the new Paint presets for anyone interested in giving them a test run.

The download file below is a zip compressed Paint preset folder. You have several different options to how you incorporate this into your existing Studio Artist 4 folder. The screen snap below shows the Preset Paint folder hierarchy we have been shipping with Studio Artist 4.

Now if you just drop the new Paint preset folder in your Preset folder to replace the old Paint folder shown above, you will lose all of the old preset collections, categories, and associated presets. The new Paint preset folder contains new collection, categories, and associated presets. Some of the older ones are going to be in there, but others will not. The new Paint preset folder is more compact than the older one, and does not contain a lot of older paint presets that new users might not be interested in , or would find confusing, or were perceived to be duplicates, or experimental, or were poorly named, etc.

If you want to keep all of your old paint preset collections (and their associated categories and presets), then you would drag the contents of the new Paint preset folder (shown below)

in to your existing Paint preset folder as new collection folder. By contents i mean dragging the 5 folders in the new Paint folder into your existing Paint folder. So then you would have all of the new paint collections as well as the old ones.

Now other users might find the old paint preset collections to be horribly confusing or poorly named and organized or too overwhelming in their copious variety and quantity of the older presets or whatever. So if you are this kind of user, you might want to just replace your old Paint preset folder with the new one. You would do this by dragging the new Paint folder to your Studio Artist Preset folder to replace the old Paint preset folder it contains. If you go this route, i would suggest making a backup copy of the old Paint preset folder so you can still access anything that was in there at some later time if you suddenly find you are missing it, or want to add it back in, or whatever.

Which category of users you personally fall into to is a decision you have to make. For me personally, i'm very used to the old preset organization and contents, so i always want to have access to everything (old and new). Other users i know have complained in the past that they would rather have a more concise set of focused paint presets (fewer presets, better organized). So if you fall into that camp, you might just want to use the new Paint preset folder to replace the older one.

Based on previous experience, i'm sure that there will be people who are totally confused about what to do with these new presets. Please feel free to ask away here with any questions regarding how to instal or use these new paint presets. Also, here's a tip that discusss the Preset folder hierarchy for Studio Artist 4. The User Guide pdf documentation also describes how preset folders are organized. You should really understand how the preset folder hierarchy works before you add these new presets, so please ask questions if you do not understand after reading the above tip link.

If you are a Studio Artist 3.5 or earlier user, do not download these new paint presets since you need Studio Artist 4.03 to run them. If you are a Studio Artist 4 user, you need to be running Studio Artist 4.03 to use these new paint presets.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DOWNLOAD FILE IMMEDIATELY BELOW THIS POST IS FOR MAC USERS ONLY. WINDOWS USERS CAN DOWNLOAD A DIFFERENT ARCHIVE FILE THAT IS POSTED FURTHER DOWN IN THE FORUM DISCUSSION.

Paint.zip

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Everyone who initially purchased 4.03 or previous 4.04 versions got all of the old presets. Everyone who purchased 4.04 got the new 4.04 Preset folder. 

The original 4.0 release Preset folder (4.0 - 4.03 release folders) included a chronological set of all of the old presets in addition to new version 4 presets. This followed our previous strategy of adding a new collection to existing ones we followed in previous studio artist releases. Some people love that. Other people took us to task for having a large set of confusingly organized presets (especially paint presets). So we tried to prune older presets and trim multiple presets with similar visual appearance, remove experimental or test presets, and make an attempt at organizing things better for beginning customers and trial users with the 4.04 Preset folder.

We're trying to finish up 4.05. We're doing some tweaks to the Preset folder again as a part of the 4.05 release. When that is released we hope to have a preset download page at synthetik.com that will give you access to all of the different preset folder combinations, including the complete chronological set. So people who want access to everything will be able to download that. We're in the process of putting that together, so hopefully it will be available for access soon. We can't post complete preset sets here on ning anymore since they added a restriction on the size of upload files that is too small for a complete Preset folder.

• Please cancel my last post. I placed the new collection in the old Paint folder and it now works,

Nora

•  Thank you for the help. It looks like it was the server, as the download and unzip worked smoothly. However, it is not clear how to get the new presets into SA.

I made a new folder called "New Presets" as I desire to keep the old collection.

I then copied the folders of the downloaded "Paint" into a new folder called "New Presets"

I then moved that folder into the Preset folder in SA

Unfortunately, the folder or its contents appear nowhere in SA when the program is run

I am unable to find a description of htis process in the user guide.

Please clarify this process, as my interpretation of what you said above is evidently not correct !

•   I downloaded this Paint.zip file onto my IMAC,Unfortunately  I received an error" Unable to unarchive. Error 1 Op not Permitted".

I have never had a problem with unzipping files on this computer in the past.

What is the problem ?

• Nora, use the original Paint.zip download at the very top of the post, the one associated with the original post. The other archive i posted 1 day ago is for windows users only.

In an ideal world we should be able to just post one zip compressed folder of presets that could be used on both platforms. However, this world we live in is oftentimes less than ideal. So for this set of presets, i had to post 2 different versions, one for mac users and one for windows users. the post on january 15th (marked as 1 day ago as i write this) is the download for windows users. The download at the very top of the page associated with the original post is for mac users.

Sorry for the confusion, i find the platform incompatibilities ridiculous, but we have to live with them. We're still tweaking these presets a little, so the final finished versions will be emailed as download links to our customer database. When we do that we have 2 different lists, one for mac users and one for windows users, and it's easy there to just include the appropriate download link for the associated computer platform.

• That is the file I downloaded. I was going to try again, but my download dialog box says "This is a PC zip archive file " Are you sure this is a Mac file ?
    • Like i said above, it took me 2 tries this morning after reading your message when i ran a test to get the mac archive to download properly. So i think the user forum server is just acting flakey today.

We always zip compress anything for mac using the built in finder zip compression. So, you don't want to try and use some third party utility like stuffit to decompress our zip archives. They should just decompress automatically after downloading if you are using safari and be in the Downloads folder.

The other archive marked as 29.9 MB was compressed on windows, since we apparently needed to do that in order for it to extract properly for windows users. We also removed all of the resource forks associated with the various preset files for the windows download, and needed to make some really obscure name changes in a few cases to get things to work for the windows users.

• iMACs are clever however they do tend to spit back if you feed them a windows program.
    •  Thank you- I was concerned that was the case,

The first post above, by John , "Paint.zip" says this is for MAC (53mb). It was apparently downloaded by Win users, who had obvious problems. If this is not the MAC file, where is the MAC file ?

• Nora, are you clear about which one to download now? I just added some large cap text to help spell it out.

I also just ran a test, and the first time i tried to download the mac archive (the 53MB one) i did get a 'decompression failed' message part way through the download (which sounds like what you ran into). I then tried it again and it was able to download properly. So, i think there might be some issue with the ning server where it's acting a little flacky.

So, try the download again and see if it works for you. I know a lot of mac users have successfully downloaded the 53MB archive paint folder and had it work for them, as did my test (on an imac) a few minutes ago.

This reply was deleted.