SA5 win and QT7 - eyetracking etc.

Hi everybody/anybody.

I just got the windows version of SA 5 a and I'm exploring possibilities in installation schemes.
Since this is my communications PC - a mission critical box since I'm completely paralyzed except for one eye, the QuickTime 7 security holes concern me.

I'm seeking advice about what smart people do. I could sandbox everything... A bit tedious but probably best, I could kill router contact, but I'm VNC'ing out to an ancient Mac.

This serves as something of a reintroduction because I'll be pestering you with reports of freezes, crashes, and other potential conflicts between the tobii dynevox eye tracker, which is a total RAM cowboy, Windows 10 and our beloved Studio Artist5.
Anyway, I if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear your cleverness...
Tucker

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How come you are switching from mac to windows? Is the eye tracking better on windows now?

• Ok, actually I've been using the PC with eyetracking to control my old mac with SA4 all along. If you have a gigabit switch and VNC you can hardly notice the lag.
      But the mac is acting... Not right... It's what - almost 20 years old, and right at this moment, i can't afford a new one. It's got 7 TB on it so i have to be careful.

But to directly answer you:
      PC (very unfortunately) is really the only option if you want hi performance eyetracking. VNC allows one to circumvent the meaningless cruelty of the PC but you gotta start there... For now.

• Hi Tucker, good to hear from you.

The only real issue with windows and quicktime is if you downloaded and opened some deviant quicktime file from the web.

So don't instal a quicktime web browser plugin, and don't download quicktime files from the web.

We have a ton of users that are working with quicktime on windows.

And it's not just us, when apple dropped the support, every music for picture scoring program on windows used quicktime. Apple just doesn't care about it's pro users any more.

If you don't want to work with movie files, you don't need quicktime for windows if using studio artist on windows. You also lose photoshop file format support, but you can work with jpg, tiff, png images without quicktime installed on windows.

• Oh, that makes everything clearer thank you! Oh, i'll just exclude QT files from my spider and off we go!
      Asy know i'm all about movies... I'm going to make something really fun: brite grey - i'll be describing it and asking for advice as we go.

This reply was deleted.