Someone asked a question recently about art mapping a movie with a folder of sub movies using MSG Evolver recently. And as i was thinking it occurred to me that you could do something similar in Studio Artist directly. The trick is to use 2D index mapping in a movie source brush or movie background texture.

Let's say you have 5 different sub movies you want to work with, and they are all 50 frames long. The you could make a movie brush were they are strung back to back. The movie brush would be 250 frames, the first 50 frames being the first sub movie, the second 50 frames being the second sub movie, etc. The you can set up the 2D index mapping for the movie so that the individual sub movies frame advance and you use some visual attribute to index between them. I ran some simple tests using source luminance to map the movies and it does work. I used time particles for continuity through time for the paint nibs. But you could use a fixed sampling grid for the path starts.

Views: 605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, cool! Do all the movies have to have the same # of frames?
Yes, all the movies have to have the same # of frames. Since you are mapping them into a 2D indexing scheme. 1 index maps between movies and the other index maps through the frames in any of the sub movies you've index into.
So do you take the 5 separate movies, and then combine them together into a single self-contained movie first, and then make a movie brush out of it?
Yes. You build one movie that contains all the individual movies of the same length pasted back to back. You can use Quicktime Player Pro to paste them together. Or you can load them as source in Studio Artist 1 by 1 and output them to an open movie stream.
OK that's what I thought, thanks, I am going to try it
"The you can set up the 2D index mapping for the movie so that the individual sub movies frame advance and you use some visual attribute to index between them."

OK I got to work, sort of, maybe I have some setting in the paint synth wrong. I made a 250-frame movie, each 50 frames are an abstract swirley a different color, & made a 2d indexed movie brush, Mod A is Lum, Mod B is AnimFrame Cycle Fwd, Index is Sequential. When I process a movie, it does try to approximate the color/lum/values of the source movie with the frames (just a movie of me moving a lamp around), but the movie brush itself isn't frame-cycling-forward (frame advancing) in the individual colors, they are static. It is painting the different colors where they "should be", but they are just static frames from the respective 50 frames of the color animations. Does this make sense??
You might need to swap your indexes or the A dimension. Index A would be the sub movie index, and the A dimension would be the # of sub indexes, not the # of frames in a sub index. This is a little confusing i know.

So i set the A index modulator to Lum and the B index to AnimFrame Cycle. You can also use TimeParticle Lifespan for the B index modulator if you are using time particles.

I'll add a RGB mapping index for 2D modulation in version 4 and then you could do the true color mapping.

If your source movie has an embedded alpha channel then you could use the source alpha brush type and have animating shapes associated with the movie frame transitions if the alpha mattes track a moving or changing object in the sub movies.
"the A dimension would be the # of sub indexes"

So I should set the "A Dimension" to 5?
Yes.
Thanks John!
OK, i added the RGB mapping option to 2D indexing in version 4, so something to look forward to.
Neat!

So, under the "A Dimension" control, there is a control called "Index". Should it be set to "Sequential", "Luminance", or "Orientation" to do the process we have been discussing?

RSS

Latest Activity

M A X posted a blog post

Andreas Baier's Flashlight-Paintings

Andreas take this shot in my studio, must be middle of the 90s or so. If someone'sinteresting in his awesome flashlight-technique: more infos and links via my tumblr-blog.Andreas is one of the most supercreative and multitalented guys i met...See More
7 hours ago
David Buckle posted a photo
11 hours ago
M A X posted a discussion

Synthetik-Site

I like the refreshments and cosmetics of the synthetik-site:(The language pulldown menue to the autotranslation did not work for me on Iphone.)Thinking on corporate identity, i would like to see this stylesheets also here the SA userforum.thanksSee More
19 hours ago
Bernard Bunner commented on Bernard Bunner's photo
Thumbnail

Abstract Outline

"I just had to restart my Mac. And now when I run these 2 "bug" presets, I don't have any problem ! Curious ! (I'm on Catalina 10.15.7)"
23 hours ago
Synthetik Software posted photos
yesterday
M A X posted a photo
yesterday
Synthetik Software commented on Bernard Bunner's photo
Thumbnail

Abstract Outline

"Email me the presets for anything you consider a bug as you run across them and we'll look at them."
yesterday
Bernard Bunner commented on Bernard Bunner's photo
Thumbnail

Abstract Outline

"John, these 2 bugs are "old" bugs. They also appears with SA 5."
yesterday

© 2021   Created by Synthetik Software.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service