Hi John, I have a question about alpha channels in MSG Evolver:

I made a patch (see attached) and put an Alpha Out stream in it with the Bus Editor. Then I made the last processor's out set to Alpha Out. I turned the Alpha For View to Alpha On, and it does make what I guess is supposed to be the Alpha channel display as black or shades of darker stuff. I made a test movie but when I brought it into Studio Artist and tried to view the Alpha channel there was nothing there. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Also please find attached screenshots of the patch display with no alpha and with Alpha for View set to Alpha On.

Oh yeah I also have my movie compression set to None with Millions of Colors +

Views: 284

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In Studio Artist 3.5, the MSG alpha channel is not currently used when you run the MSG preset in the canvas with the action button. If you use it in the paint synthesizer then you can access the generated alpha channel. So if you made a paint preset using region fill as brush with msg brush load, then you could set the paint preset to route the msg alpha channel to replace the source brush alpha and use a source alpha brush type and then you can utilize the msg alpha channel as the brush.
Thanks John!
I did notice one thing about the msg preset you posted. The 1st and 3rd msg processors, AngularGrad2D and Foldover are both processors that have 1 input and 1 output. You use the blue output channel 'B Out' as the input to both. Which is kind of an indeterminate thing to do, since the output of the preset will depend on what is already in the canvas. Unless you really want that you usually want to use something to first set the BOut channel to something specific so the preset always generates the same output when run multiple times.
Well I was trying out different things, and I think I have made one that is similar, but that I like better, I was getting recursive again ;)
OK I made some cool brushes that use alpha generated from the MSG, totally rad! I love it.
The whole reason i initially added alpha to msg was for using msg presets in the paint synthesizer, with the alpha being the brush shape and the msg rgb then being the paint fill from. You can use temporal generators controlling the parameters associated with the generated msg alpha channel to create lots of different effects when using the msg preset in a paint synth patch. They could be time varying oscillators that vary as the path is drawn or wacom pen modulators like pressure and tilt orientation.

There's also a bunch of alpha related metaedits in the configuration menu in msg evolver you can use to quickly create something generating alpha.

Version 4 has a new feature called msg live source brush, so you can use a normal msg preset as a live source brush. With that you aren't restricted to msg brush load and the alpha channel in the msg preset.
Oh I can't wait for 4

RSS

Latest Activity

Paul Perlow replied to Ian Clegg's discussion Mosaic - How to change text?
"Welcome back, Ian Go to the Brush Source settings in the Edit Panel If it is set to text you can just place the text you want in the appropriate panel. Paul"
1 hour ago
erik goetze commented on Bernard Bunner's photo
Thumbnail

Delaunay1

"These are all amazing."
6 hours ago
Ian Clegg replied to Ian Clegg's discussion Mosaic - How to change text?
"Thanks Sam. The YouTube video explained it all.. thanks very much! "
8 hours ago
Sam replied to Ian Clegg's discussion Mosaic - How to change text?
8 hours ago
Ian Clegg posted a discussion

Mosaic - How to change text?

Hi I'm back after fifteen years or so. I bought this for a Mac a long time ago!!Would anyone point me to where I can change the mosaic text from Hello to some text I define myself. It must be possible and I have searched all over for the way to do this.I'm in Paint Synthesiser Classic with Mosaic - Flat with Text as the preset. Thank you! IanSee More
9 hours ago
Sam commented on Bernard Bunner's photo
Thumbnail

Delaunay1

"I am happy that with the 64-bit version, we will probably be able to produce something similar to Deep Learning even before the completion of version…"
13 hours ago
Bernard Bunner commented on Bernard Bunner's photo
Thumbnail

Texture4a

"omment by Bernard Bunner 32 seconds agoDelete Comment here I used the texture synthesizer as source for the vectorizer. A new source option in the vectorizer. The result is different as you use a texture saved picture as a source. Each change in the…"
13 hours ago
David Buckle posted photos
14 hours ago

© 2021   Created by Synthetik Software.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service