A.I. Gigapixel--an Innovative Upscaling Program

Many of us have the need to upscale the resolution of SA images, eg from 1000x1000 to 6000x6000 pixels.  But that task is very demanding, since the second upscaled image will have 36 times as many pixels as the lower-resolution image.  How can sharpness etc be preserved?

Before now, my go-to program for this kind of task was Photozoom Pro 7, which worked as well as anything else I'd tried.  All such programs work by interpolating new pixels in between the initial ones.  However, this new program, A.I. Gigapixel, works on a completely different principle.  It uses an artificial intelligence neural net that has been trained over many thousands of previous pictures, so that it knows, just from a few initial pixels, which actual object configuration was most probably represented by them.  Then, in the final image, it replaces those few pixels with a high resolution image of the object configuration it has guessed.    

Quite honestly, I'm amazed at how well this works on typical images--I haven't been able to fool it yet into representing the wrong actual configuration, and I've never seen such sharpness in results before either.  As a quick test, see the sample picture below of the same highly magnified area from 2 upscaled 1000-->6000 pixel images, with the Gigapixel result on the left and the Photozoom Pro 7 one on the right--there's simply no comparison.

A.I. Gigapixel has only just been released--yesterday there was an intro webinar with many examples, follow it from my link at

https://register.gotowebinar.com/recording/viewRecording/4380009415752883202/7753061500659332097/dilworth@wmich.edu?registrantKey=8552319592606124299&type=ABSENTEEEMAILRECORDINGLINK

Other links:

https://topazlabs.com/ai-gigapixel/

https://topazlabs.com/a-i-gigapixel-story/

Also this is time-sensitive, because Topaz are offering 20% off the price only until the 27th of this month, use coupon name ‘GigaGreg’.  A free 30-day trial is also offered, which is how I've been able to test it so quickly.

Cpsn AI Gigapixel vs PZ7.jpg

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thanks for your note on this, sounds interresting

• Thanks Max, I hope you'll give it a try--seeing is believing!

• Have you tried ON1 Photo Raw?

I have found the results incredible.

Paul

• Thanks Paul, I do have ON1, but haven’t tried the Resize module yet—glad it works so well for you.  But Gigapixel is a completely different beast.  Another example:  I have a medium resolution (4000x) image with some imperfections.  If I downsize it to 1000x, then upscale it back with Gigapixel, the result is BETTER than the original—the imperfections have been removed!  No conventional upscaler could do that.

• Agree that the results are great - best I have seen. Useful even at 400%, but there is a huge bug that causes the output size to be different from that requested by the user. I spoke with Topaz and they acknowledged this and I thought it would be fixed in the inline release, but it wasn't. And you cannot change the aspect ratio and resize at the same time - those might be the conditions under which the output does not match the user's requested values. But yes, a great tool otherwise.

• is it possible to convert to vector? As we know, vector are better than raster when we talk about size we need

• But even if you could convert to vector, you wouldn't see the improvements that Gigapixel can produce.  Eg a distant cell tower or reflector dish may be just a blur in your image, but it can intelligently produce a larger image that looks much more like those originals.  IE it is actually adding information that isn't in the original image--vectors can't do that.

• Thanks John.This tool is very usefull. 

• Hi John, thanks for posting this info.

I downloaded trial Mac version. I made different tests. When I take a detail of a portrait picture, exemple eyes, so yes, AI giga brings a good result, better than Artis Software Super Resize that I'm using.

But if you want to enlarge all the picture, the result is not better than Super Resize, that works more faster than AIG. And I'm not limited to 600%. I just tested 1500%. My source was a 1600x1307 picture and the result was 24000x19605 png file. 

Photoshop opening 1500% file :
    2472689235?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Super Resize and AI Giga at last

2472703936?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

2472704159?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Thanks Bernard.  As long as Giga has good results, speed is unimportant to me--I'll mainly use it in batch mode while doing other things.  Also, Giga can do 1500% in two passes--first 600%, and second 250%, so there's no upper limit.  Give it a try, and see if it compares well!

This reply was deleted.

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 22

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Emil G. on Saturday

Having difficulty exporting canvas as image

I'd like to export a canvas as a .tiff/.tif image file to a folder I made on my desktop.I select that from a dropdown menu, I can name the exported file, change the extension, etc, and I press save but nothing happens.It's always worked until now. It seems like a simple task. Any ideas?I'm on Mac OSX 12.6, if that matters, and my system hasn't changed since the last time I was able to export successfully.Thanks  

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Tony Bouttell Mar 5