Replies

• I mentioned that every different flavour of generative neural net image synthesis model has a very different visual and aesthetic appearance. Let's take a look at a simple example below from a little project i've been working on.

I've been experimenting with guided generative drift experiments all based on the initial text phrase 'the brutality of war'.

Here are 3 different outputs from 3 different models with the exact same text tag 'the brutality of war'.

10450748855?profile=RESIZE_930x

latent diffusion with the LAION model

10450748878?profile=RESIZE_710x

VQGAN-CLIP

10450748895?profile=RESIZE_930x

CLIP guided diffusion (from disco diffusion)

Note that all 3 images are very distinct visually.  Almost like 3 different visual styles.

Now someone is going to immediately chime in that i'm not using any kind of elaborate text prompt engineering to push the system in a certain direction.

Yes, exactly. We're looking at what is going on in the system when given a much more limited prompt.  One that could be considered somewhat ambiguous to some extent.  And i'm going to argue that all 3 systems have very characteristic underlying visual appearance behavior that caries through even as you start to build wildly elaborate textural prompts. 

These kinds of very simple prompts actually tell you quite a bit about what is going on under the hood in each of the 3 algorithms.

And depending on your artistic goals for any given project, you might want to use a particular one because of those underlying visual appearance properties.

I think this also points out that we are in the very early days of fully figuring out what these systems can do and how we can adjust them to get to visual appearance goals a particular digital artist is interested in achieving.  Yes, the text prompting bends the system in a certain way.  But each system also has a characteristic visual appearance that is a product of both the database it was trained on as well as how the structure of the synthesis algorithm is constructed under the hood.

• In my experience, if I have a clear direction that I want the system to take, I start with an init image and tweak as needed. But it's equally intersting to start without one and tweak the prompts. Will be interesting to see if any of this finds its way into SA. ;-)

• I wanted to point out that DALL-E 2 apparently would not let me even run this particular experiment, because the word 'war' is considered bad or toxic content and cannot be used in the system.  This is from a paper from someone who had early access to the DALL-E 2 system and wrote a paper on the limited experiments they ran with it.

I've run into something similar with another model that had some kind of toxic filtering monitor associated with the generated output image.  The model considered synthesized images of people doing yoga to be sexual in nature and stopped the processing.  Kind of ridiculous (i think).  At least for systems that are designed for artists.

Think about the history of art, and then scrub all art imagery that delt with war or displayed naked flesh.  Also scrub any images of painfull or disturbing subject matter.  What are we left with, bowls of apples?

• Maybe this is interesting too.
    https://imagen.research.google/

Imagen: Text-to-Image Diffusion Models
    • There is already an open source github code clone implementation of it under development.  The fact that a larger language model leads to better text performance when driving the generative model is not really surprising.  The cutsie images they show off in their website and paper don't get me too excited however, so we'll see how i feel after using the open source clone of it.  Clip is trained on image -text pairs, while Imagen just uses a transformer trained on language only, so that part of it is interesting.

• There are some new A.I. software here:
    https://gpt3demo.com/
    GPT-3 Demo Showcase, 300+ Apps, Examples, & Resources
    Get inspired and discover how companies are implementing the OpenAI GPT-3 API to power new use cases

300+ GPT-3 Examples, Demos, Apps, Showcase, and NLP Use-cases | GPT-3 Demo
    GPT-3 is the world's most sophisticated natural language technology. Discover how companies are implementing the OpenAI GPT-3 API to power new use ca…
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

The Overload

"The Overload"! A video with music, from the various experiments I made in Studio Artist with stuff that I have learned in the last few days, from tips and tricks I found by scouring this site and the Synthetik site for tutorials etc. MSG! Paint Synth with MSG Path Generation! Movie Brushes with MSG Path Start Generation! Time Particles! Time Particles with MSG Path Start Generation running Movie Brushes! All that, and more! Haha I have been trying to stretch the Paint Synthesizer in the…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 31

Teenage Tongue Cult

Hi, here is the video I made back in 2010 for my song "Teenage Tongue Cult". I finally found my master folder of image sequence files for it on one of my old hard drives, and since the version I had on my Vimeo was of pretty terrible pixelated low quality visually, I re-did it yesterday. It has extensive use of Studio Artist through the whole thing. I made it by first animating the characters and scenes in Flash, against a mostly kind of muddy green background, a color I knew wasn't being used…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 30