guilloche

Hi I am tying to achive hatching like classic guilloche style.I've tryed Image Operations.But could not make.10886151086?profile=RESIZE_710xIs it possible to make this kind of images in Studio Artist.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  You can get in the ballpark i think.  And it would certainly be a useful exercise to break down the detailed specifics of the guilloche style, and see if we can come up with some examples that do it ever better.

There are some MSG presets that build screening or halftone effects.

Here are 2 simple examples.  The first i quickly built from scratch to show off the basic idea.

10886191053?profile=RESIZE_930x

Note that i'm routing the green source channel as both the input to the OrientLineScreen processor as well as the orientation modulation input.  The green channel of an RGB image is a good first approximation of the luminance.  You could use a RGBtoYIQ processor if you wanted the actual luminance (the Y channel in the YIQ color space).

This second example is very similar, but it works for the 3 color channels to do color halftoning, and is using a FSA (float sum area) processor setup to build a scale invariant orientation modulator for the line screen orientation.

10886197260?profile=RESIZE_930x

Here's another color halftone screening MSG preset that is constructed a little bit differently.

10886198659?profile=RESIZE_930x

The FSA filter is just blurring the source for the orientation modulation, and the screening is being done with the OrientDualLineScreen processor.

If you use the SetToValue processor to create a flat graytone image as the modulator, then the screen lines will all follow the same angle. Increasing the gray value rotates the angle.  When you use a varying image like the luminance channel (or some smoothed variant of that), or an orientation map image, then the screen orientation is being locally modulated.

I'll put together some other examples, but thought i'd throw this out first in the limited time i have this morning to reply.

• I know you can generate hypotrochoid patterns in MSG, which is one of the complex procedural patternings the real world  guilloche effects are based on.  So i will hunt that down to show here.  Something related is Rose Curve patterning, which is also implemented in MSG as a MSG pattern generator. So i built a very simple MSG preset that generates black and white abstract Rose Curve patterning, and then embedded it inside of the paint synthesizer to drive a vector paint preset that does adaptive halftone screening on the fly while it draws.

10886332655?profile=RESIZE_930x

I'll put together a little tutorial that shows off how to build this paint preset from scratch.  Again, the simple MSG preset embedded in the paint synthesizer is creating the procedural patterning and driving the individual vector paint strokes.

You can use the Evolution Editor to evolve endless patterning variations, so this particular approach is super flexible for a classic guilloche effect that is also vector output for nice crisp lines.

There was a lot of discussion about effects like this, including pantographs, probably 10 years ago on the user forum.  So it might be worthwhile hunting down some of those discussions.  Things like Rose Curves got added to Studio Artist way back then because of those discussions.  I'll also try and put together something to post here that talks more about the specifics of the actual history and implementation of guilloche patterning.  Anyone else feel free to jump into pointing some of that out if you are knowledgable or curious about it.

There are some existing tips on using MSG to extend the paint synthesizer, so i will point them out here.

Intro to Extending the Paint Synthesizer with MSG.

It looks like our web site developer managed to hose the specific link to the article on MSG path start generators.  I found something in our old Studio Artist news archive that briefly cover it.

Here's an old article on simulating pantograph relief sketches i found.

Like i said, i will put together a detailed  V5.5 tutorial on building the effect i showed off above, and post it here.

Using MSG to Extend the Paint Synthesizer
    MSG presets can be used to customize and extend the capabilities of the paint synthesizer in many different ways. MSG stands for modular synthesized…
    • Here's an old post on my personal art blog from 2010 that discusses using a lissajous pattern MSG processor to build a pseudo guilloche screening effect.  Same idea where you embed the MSG pattern generator processor in the paint synthesizer to drive the painting based on the lissajous patterning.

Lissajous Screening
      Someone asked me about generating Guilloche patterns in Studio Artist. After thinking about it a little bit i realized you can use a MSG p...
  •  There is a Guilloche software that is the best way I have ever seen to create them.

http://www.excourse.com/excentro/

But your samples look more like engravings. Here is a photoshop tutorial for an engraved look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLRDCn5UMOo

Excourse Excentro Information
    Excentro is small and simple tool that lets computer artist create Guilloche designs on Macintosh computer.
    • Yeah, i built those paint presets specifically to work as adaptive halftone screens.  So they go for the print engraving look because of that.  The brush size is dynamically changing based on the sourve image luminance.  I did that because the originaal question seemed to be focused on that aspect (halftone screening effects).  Or at least that is how i interpreted it.

If you just want to paint with a single width solid brush, you can certainly do that.  So use a small source brush size, with no brush modulation.  And turn off any nib clib features or nib drop out features.

• It is for Mac.What a pitty.I am using Windows.But thank you.

This reply was deleted.

On the closure of the User Forum : An open letter to John Dalton

Hi John I have no idea what you are going through. However the impact you have made not to continue with the user forum and your desire keep it as a permanent feature as promised in the past is a big shock. It also betrays the faith and love we have shown in you and Studio Artist.  Bluntly spoken, it sucks. That you have chosen to follow this direction in silence, allowing no compassion or understanding on our part is a betrayal of the deepest level. What is going on? This is not the John…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Paul Perlow 6 hours ago

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 22

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
7 Replies · Reply by Alf 6 hours ago