Replies

• Path start regionization used with region fill as brush pen mode is not going to respect the original brush image aspect ratio in most cases. This is because the generated regions adapt to the source image characteristics, and region fill as brush pen mode overrides the source brush with a temporary region, and any images used as a fill will auto-size to fill the rectangular boundary area associated with the temporary region being filled.

Now some of the path start regionization algorithms break down the canvas into sub-divided areas based on splitting the canvas repeatedly. So you could be smart about sizing the canvas accordingly, and building your image folder brush accordingly, so that the math works out and the aspect ratio is preserved for the sub-divided areas. Takes some planning and forethought, but is achievable.

Of course if you use normal tiling with normal non region fill as brush pen modes (like interactive pen for example), then single brush nibs will be laid down (assuming max path length is set to 1), and then the aspect ratio of any images used in an image brush will be preserved.

You can do sub tilig with this approach, but you need to do multitple passes with to pull it off.

• This is still not understandable. Charis achieves this in all his work. There most be a way beyond the technical explanation you have shared above. I will appreciate you kindly share more straight forward approach.

Some works of charis with unstretched images

https://www.tsevis.com/cristiano-ronaldo-o-orgulho-de-portugal

https://www.tsevis.com/two-roses

I also noticed that no matter how I render the canvas, the images are pixellated which doesn't happen on Charis project. I have used a canvas size of 3600px x 3600px with a DPI of 300, 600 & 1200px experimentally yet no visible results. My image folder containes images of at least 3200px x 2000px. Please how can I fix this.

Than you in anticipation

• Don't confuse path start regionization mosaic presets with single paint nib tiling mosaic presets. 

If you are using region fill as brush pen mode to fill regions with an image brush, then the image is scaled to fit the size of the region. If the image was smaller then this size, then it would be interpolated to fit. So you'd need to make sure your image was large enough to not scale up if you want to avoid interpolation artifacts in the region image fill.

Single nib tiling (typically in a grid path start scan pattern), just lays down a single brush nib of the image. It might be scaled down in size by settings in the Brush Modulation control panel, but it's not going to scale up unless you have a max brush size in there larger than 100%.

Charis typically uses single brush nib tiling in grid patterns. So if you are using path start regionization presets, you are doing something completely different.

• If you don't understand paint synthesizer pen modes, here's a tip on them.

Again, path start regionization mosaic presets are typically using path start regionization in combination with region fill as brush pen mode. 

Region fill as brush pen mode makes a temporary brush source based on the region you manually paint or studio artist automatically generates.

Charis uses something like interactive pen mode with a path length of 1, so that a single paint nib is laid down at each start point. In combination with grid tiling path start generators, or grid tiling settings in the Path Application control panel.

• Here are some blog posts that discuss different studio artist effects. If you click Mosaics to just get the mosaic articles, there are several in there on sub-nested tiling, which is what Charis typically does.

Here are a lot of article links that discuss how to duplicate the kind of thing Charis does with mosaics. Again, pay close attention to the articles on sub-nested tiling. He's doing it using grid tiling with single paint nibs composed of images (or movie brush frames since he started doing this before we had image folder brushes so a lot of his work used movie brushes). The article links above specifically point to this one on sub-nested tiling.

• Is there any preset in SA5 that uses sub nesting tiling so I can study the technique from there. Tx
This reply was deleted.

On the closure of the User Forum : An open letter to John Dalton

Hi John I have no idea what you are going through. However the impact you have made not to continue with the user forum and your desire keep it as a permanent feature as promised in the past is a big shock. It also betrays the faith and love we have shown in you and Studio Artist.  Bluntly spoken, it sucks. That you have chosen to follow this direction in silence, allowing no compassion or understanding on our part is a betrayal of the deepest level. What is going on? This is not the John…

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Paul Perlow 25 seconds ago

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 22

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
7 Replies · Reply by Alf 7 hours ago