One image, 100 variations

As a proof of concept, I need to make, say, 10 - 20 (ultimately 1,000) variations (random at first) of a single source image and save them all to disk. What would be the best way to do that?  Thanks for any suggestions.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There are a lot of different approaches one could take.

Let's look at a few.

Probably the simplest thing one could do would be to setup a single Ip Op effect that generates random variations, setup the number of different variations you want as the # of frames in an animation, record the single Ip Op effect in a PASeq, then run Action : Animate : to Image.

10165703467?profile=RESIZE_930x

Note that _Random is set to 'Unique' in the Editor for the Ip Op effect.  If i set it to 'Use Seed', then the result would be the same every time i ran it.  But because it is set to Unique, the fracture effect will be a random variation every time it is run in the animation.

Not every Ip Op effect generates random variations (a rank area filter would not), so run a test if you are unsure.

Above generates a random variation of a specific effect. So based on the Editor shown above, the effect is going to be a random variation of a Center Algorithm, Normal Color Space, and Edge Mode.  Suppose you want to randomize all of the parameters for the Fracture effect, not just get different random variations based off of specific parameter settings.

You could of course press the Randomize button down at the bottom of the Editor to create new random parameter settings for this effect.

You could also keyframe different parameter settings of the effect on the PASeq timeline, and then interpolate between the different keyframe parameter settings to generate new parameter vallues for the animation output.  Those new parameter settings are structured, based on how you defined the parameter settings for the keyframes, which will interpolate parameters as you move between different keyframes.

A different approach that is really random in a generative way is to use the Random Cur Ip Op option for the Main technique in Gallery Show.

If you do that for the Fracture Ip Op effect, then you will generate new parameter settings for the Fracture effect e=for each gallery show cycle.

10165709470?profile=RESIZE_930x

You could start an image stream, and set your stream write flag to 'Enable Write on Gallery Show Cycle', and then you will output the randomized Fracture Ip Op effect each gallery show cycle to a folder of images.  If you set your gallery show Source Option to Fixed, then the current source will be used for each gallery show cycle.

There are a lot of other ways to do what you want in gallery show.

You could work with folder of factory presets, or complete factory preset collections, or generative effects built by gallery show, all processing the same source image.  There are mutate technique options for anything working with factory presets if you want more diversity.

if you want things more constrained or designed, then build up a folder of specific custom presets you want to work with.  Again, you can use the straight presets, or run mutate variations if you want that diversity.

If you are working with the paint synthesizer, there are billions of different generative paint settings you could setup in gallery show.

A different approach would be to work with fields of solid colored patterning (from MSG presets lets say), and then use automatic selection masking in gallery show derived off of the source image to build random screen prints of the colored patterning.

• One thing i wanted to point out is that while keyframe interpolating most effect parameters is going to have some inherent structure, if you just keyframe the random seed of an effect that uses one, then you will get a random variation of the effect with each unique seed generated by keyframe interpolating seed values.

• Another approach to this kind of thing would be to use Temporal Generators (TG) attached to specific editable parameters in MSG presets that process the source image.  Set the TG modulator to uniform random noise, setup your TG Min and Max settings, and you are set.  Record this as a MSG action step in a PASeq.  Run it out as an animate to a folder of images like i discussed before.

• John - Thanks much for the detailed reply. Lots of options to try out. Already getting interesting results from the Unique setting in Ip Op. Might be back with a few quesions, but thaks again. 

This reply was deleted.

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 22

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Emil G. on Saturday

Having difficulty exporting canvas as image

I'd like to export a canvas as a .tiff/.tif image file to a folder I made on my desktop.I select that from a dropdown menu, I can name the exported file, change the extension, etc, and I press save but nothing happens.It's always worked until now. It seems like a simple task. Any ideas?I'm on Mac OSX 12.6, if that matters, and my system hasn't changed since the last time I was able to export successfully.Thanks  

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Tony Bouttell Mar 5