Paint Synthesizer v4 vs v5.5

I haven't used StudioArtist for several years, when I used v4 for a reasonably large project, specifically for the Paint Synthesizer.  I have a new larger project,  along similar lines and am wondering if there are any significant changes to the Paint Synthesizer in v5.5?

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The quick answer is that the paint synthesizer in V5.5 is compatible with V4, so everything you could do with it in V4 you can do in V5.5.  However, there are a ton of new features in the V5.5 paint synthesizer when contrasted in V4.  That is really true for every other aspect of the program.

• Thank you for the reply.

Is there a doc available somewhere, that would explain some of the new features?

• We're finishing up the V5.5.5 update right now, so after that is out we'll probably do another full round of 'hey, here are the new features'.

The synthetik website has a V5.5 new feature list.

This manifesto talks about some of the new features and the underlying principals.

The new vector paint effects were a huge new thing in V5 as compared to V4.  Including vector wet paint, which is unique to Studio Artist.

V5.5 extends those vector paint features. V5.5.5 adds some additional new twists.

You can embed vectorizer or ip op effects that generate vector paths directly into the paint synthesizer in V5.5.  This adds a whole new dimension to what one can achieve with the paint synthesizer.

You might want to read through the new generative ai paint features in gallery show in V5.5.

There are lots of new options for generating traveling salesman problem (TSP) sketch effects in V5.5.

You might want to take a look at some of the recent video examples here.

I could spend the entire day describing new stuff out and not cover everything.

If you want to talk about your new project a little bit, i can point you at some specific things that might be applicable.

New Features
        The new features in Studio Artist 5.5 allow for a extensive range of potential visual styles and effects that will take your digital artwork to a who…
        • The previous project involved creating impressionist style paint textures/effects and the new project will probably be along the same lines, though it's not set in stone.  I won't be using vectors at all, much as I love them.

• There are a ton of new presets between V4 and V5.5 that show off the new features, and the V5.5.5 update will include an extensively re-worked set of new presets that expands beyond what we provided in the initial V5.5 release.  So many new paint presets, and also new paint action sequence presets that show how to combine different Studio Artist effects together to create more finished visual effects.

You might like the new color clip modulation in the paint synthesizer in V5.5 for impressionistic effects.

I also wanted to point out that vector paint effects in Studio Artist can be output as raster images.  And most of them don't look lik traditional vector effects, they look like natural media kinds of things.   The paint synthesizer in V5.5 allows for hybrid paints that are combinations of raster and vector paint in a single preset working together to build a rich hybrid look.  

You can also configure the vectorizer in V5.5 to output things that you would swear were painted with some kind of natural media raster paint.

• Sounds good.  Thanks for the replies.

Just a quick unrelated question:

Is the Supersizer similar to Adobe's AI interpolation?

• Supersizer is certainly useful, but it isn't neural net based.  We have more sophisticated neural net interpolation things under development for inclusion in V6.

Studio Artist also has this whole concept of re-rendering a Paint Action Sequence (PASeq) to upsize a recorded action script for building an effect.  So the idea is that you build your image at a lower working resolution, recording everything into a PASeq.  Then you can resize the canvas with the Rerender PASeq (or History) check box (s) checked, and not only is the canvas resized, but the action steps in the PASeq are adjusted to scale up what they do for the larger canvas size.

How well this works right now is really a function of what you are doing in the PASeq.  When Studio Artist was originally released, our implementation of digital paint consisted of a series of raster paint nibs laid down on a vector path. So by resizing the individual paint nibs, and rescaling the associated vector path they were laid down on, the individual paint strokes could be re-rendered into a larger canvas.

As more and more different things, different effects, different approaches to painting, etc were added to the program, that whole re-render part got way more complicated over time.  For example, some paint effects appear to have a certain fixed size brush nib to a user, but actually the brush is virtual, and might consist of a cloud of much smaller particles interacting in different ways.

In practice, rerendering right now is kind of like an edition print.  Which could be a cool feature, or the inherent randomness in it associated with some paint settings might be a distraction from what you really are trying to do.  And you definitely want to run some experiments with the specific paint presets and other SA effects you want to use to see if it makes sense or not.

We tweaked the re-render code in V5.5 to improve it.  We also have new exciting big plans for this whole re-render concept for V6.  The whole notion of how one could work with resolution rescaling of effects in V6 is going to be dramatically reworked in the Studio Artist interface in some really cool and interesting ways.  

There is a new video tutorial on how to rescale your work via re-rendering that will go online once V5.5.5 is released, so fairly soon.

• Very useful.  I did indeed use the PASeq in the past and just as you say, found it to work sometimes better than others according to my needs.

Many thanks again for all the info.

This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson on Saturday

The Overload

"The Overload"! A video with music, from the various experiments I made in Studio Artist with stuff that I have learned in the last few days, from tips and tricks I found by scouring this site and the Synthetik site for tutorials etc. MSG! Paint Synth with MSG Path Generation! Movie Brushes with MSG Path Start Generation! Time Particles! Time Particles with MSG Path Start Generation running Movie Brushes! All that, and more! Haha I have been trying to stretch the Paint Synthesizer in the…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 31

Teenage Tongue Cult

Hi, here is the video I made back in 2010 for my song "Teenage Tongue Cult". I finally found my master folder of image sequence files for it on one of my old hard drives, and since the version I had on my Vimeo was of pretty terrible pixelated low quality visually, I re-did it yesterday. It has extensive use of Studio Artist through the whole thing. I made it by first animating the characters and scenes in Flash, against a mostly kind of muddy green background, a color I knew wasn't being used…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 30