Problems With Opening Certsin JPGs

I have recently found that certain jpgs  do not open correctly in SA for Windows. They come up as an entirely black image ! These jpgs open perfectly in PS or any other program I have that uses a jpg file. I may have processed some of these with the new Corel Aftershot and done other post processing, but that does not explain why they open normally in all other programs. Other jpgs open normally in SA. Re-saving in PS does not help and there are no layers.

Is this a known bug ? Any suggestions ?

DSC01998cmsmlredo.jpg

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've run across that once or twice myself so far...

• Actually, it's happening to me with PNG's now... I made a batch of 20 PNG's, and about 17 of them are opening as black blocks.... I'm gonna reboot my system to see if the problem is fixed.

• Rebooting does not help in my case.

• nor mine... but I built a movie using the png's and they worked for making my new alpha embedded movie brush, but I went frame by frame through the QT .mov file and most of them showed as black blocks as well.  It seems to be a render issue that both QT and SA4 share.

• Again, my first question would be whether the black movie frames have an alpha channel set to 0.

• hmm and windows just did an update.. . . .

• Yes, there was an update. But only SA appears affected by this problem (which evidently is not limited to jpgs).

• If you want to email one of the jpg images to techsupport AT synthetik DOT com we can take a look at them. Or you can use our synthetik help desk. Tell us where the images came from when you do that.

Be aware that the alpha channel of a source image does display in the source area, and alpha = 0 will display as black. So it could be that you have images that have an alpha channel set to full off.

You could test this by dragging the 'black' source image to the canvas. If a non black image then displays in the canvas then that is what is going on.

• Well for me, when I load one of the images that shows as black in the source... it shows as black in the canvas.  however I was still able to use a QT movie compiled from the images to make a perfectly fine alpha masked movie brush.  even though in QT player several of the frames showed black... I'll send you the images and the movie.  I created all of the images with painter in the same manner. So, I'm not certain why it only happens with some of them.... it's not hindering me at the moment, but I would like to know how to fix it if I load an image like that into source I want to do something with other than make a brush.

• I thought JPEGS were 24bit. Where does the alpha channel come into it.

This reply was deleted.

On the closure of the User Forum : An open letter to John Dalton

Hi John I have no idea what you are going through. However the impact you have made not to continue with the user forum and your desire keep it as a permanent feature as promised in the past is a big shock. It also betrays the faith and love we have shown in you and Studio Artist.  Bluntly spoken, it sucks. That you have chosen to follow this direction in silence, allowing no compassion or understanding on our part is a betrayal of the deepest level. What is going on? This is not the John…

Read more…
5 Replies · Reply by J Hogan 20 seconds ago

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 22

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
7 Replies · Reply by Alf 10 hours ago