I have recently found that certain jpgs  do not open correctly in SA for Windows. They come up as an entirely black image ! These jpgs open perfectly in PS or any other program I have that uses a jpg file. I may have processed some of these with the new Corel Aftershot and done other post processing, but that does not explain why they open normally in all other programs. Other jpgs open normally in SA. Re-saving in PS does not help and there are no layers.

Is this a known bug ? Any suggestions ?

Views: 577

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nora, in SA do you have alpha enable set to on?

Thanks for the reply.

I have difficulty understanding this control for the alpha channel.. Going to canvas->alpha->set to, one gets

Full off

Full on

Selection

Source

I see no way to change these controls (there are no check boxes, etc) - What is the method for changing the settings ? The initialize option,for example, has check boxes.

If you select one of the options a check mark will show up next to the menu choice. But above the "Full off" choice there is a choice "enable for view"

if there is a check mark next to that then you have Alpha view enabled, and jpegs with an full black alpha would show up as black when you open them in SA. Turn off Alpha view and the jpeg should appear normal again.

Thank you. I got the alpha view enabled, but jpegs saved as progressive still open as black. I can get around this problem by not saving in progressive, and other photoediting programs do not seem to save in progressive, but it does appear rather odd. Again, any of my programs other than SA open such jpegs without problems.

Upload a zip compressed problem source image (or email it to me) and let me try it on one of our windows machines. The tests we have run so far show that progressive jpegs generated from photoshop open fine and are not black. And someone else on windows ran the test and got the same results we did. But we aren't using the same version of photoshop you are, so i'd like to try one of your images again.

My guess is that they will work fine on our windows machine, and if that is the case then we can try to work through what is unique about your particular windows machine via tech support email.

Here's a tip on working with alpha channels in layers.

The alpha : set to menus just set the current layer's alpha channel to whatever you choose, like full on, full off, the current selection buffer contents or the source image alpha channel. So there is not menu check, because you are running an action, not selecting a toggle-able option.

Liveart was thinking you had alpha view enabled and the layer's alpha channel was full off, which would give you a black view display (if you had black set as the default background in canvas : alpha : background). I don't think that's your problem, but worth checking i guess.

I thought you said the image was displaying in the source area as black. That's why i mentioned alpha channels in the source image in my first reply to this thread, but as someone pointed out, there isn't supposed to be an alpha channel in a jpeg image.

If you upload a zip compressed problem image, i'll try it on our windows machines here, and see if i get the same results you see, or something different.

Thank you John. Here is a zipped jpeg saved as a progressive

Attachments:

Like i thought, it loads and displays fine on our windows computers here. 

We should probably move this discussion to email at this point, because the problem appears to be associated with something specific to your computer that is causing the problem, as opposed to something everyone on windows sees.

RSS

Latest Activity

Synthetik Software commented on Bernard Bunner's photo
Thumbnail

Delaunay1

"Looks like you found some of the new SA V5.5 visual attribute modulation options in the Vectoizer. I was running randomized variations of Vectorizer parameters last night in gallery show, and it needs to have some generative preference options…"
2 hours ago
Bernard Bunner posted a photo

Delaunay1

Testing SA 5.5 Vectorizer
2 hours ago
M A X commented on M A X's photo
Thumbnail

Fliehen

"This is no SA-work! These early digital works were made by my old typography-professor alfred tilp (1932-2006)."
5 hours ago
M A X posted a photo

Fliehen

"Compugrafitty" von Alfred Tilp,2004
6 hours ago
Synthetik Software posted a photo

New GS VectorizerFeat6

This was made using a generative art strategy that only uses the Vectorizer in Studio Artist V5.5 while testing some new Vectorizer features.
21 hours ago
David Buckle commented on David Buckle's photo
Thumbnail

Stairs

"Thanks"
22 hours ago
Synthetik Software commented on Synthetik Software's photo
Thumbnail

New GS Gen Features2

"This is a really good example of how perceptual modulation of diverse sets of different paint synthesizer parameters can really tune what is happening in the canvas.  This applies to realistic painting goals, or to abstract painting…"
yesterday
Jean Detheux posted a video

Invenzione dell'Invenzione 12 from Jean Detheux on Vimeo.

Invenzione dell'Invenzione 12

On November 5, 2019, Paola Erdas (harpsichord http://www.paolaerdas.it), Marco Ambrosini (nyckelharpa http://www.ambrosini.de), Angela Ambrosini (nyckelharpa https://www.angelaambrosini.eu) and Eva-Maria Rusche (harpsichord…
yesterday

© 2021   Created by Synthetik Software.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service