SA Mac Version 32-bit Support?

Apple has confirmed that macOS will no longer provide full support for 32-bit apps following High Sierra. Eg:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/27/how-to-see-which-applications-on-your-mac-are-32-bit-and-wont-be-supported-in-the-future

How will this affect the Mac SA V5 32-bit version, and especially Quicktime-dependent functions?

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's my understanding that the next osx 10.14 will support running 32 bit applications. This is what Apple stated at last years wwdc to developers.

There is already a 64 bit Studio Artist build for mac. We've been looking at options for the post quicktime world to extend the 32 bit app's movie capabilities into the 64 bit build. 

• Thanks, very glad you're on to this.  I was beginning to get that sinking feeling when reading that Quicktime is now dangerous on Windows, and near-obsolete on the Mac...

• There are a lot of people still using quicktime on windows. As long as you are working with videos you make yourself, or acquired from a reliable source, it's not really a problem. Just don't instal the browser plugin (the installer has this turned off as a default).

• i updated and get these messages saying your mac is not optimized for this app, including studio artist, (both versions) and then it opens and i can use it fine. what will quicktime be replaced by?

• OSX 10.13.4 brings up that message the first time you run a 32 bit application on it. It's kind of misleading. They should just say that it's a 32 bit application and at some point in the future 32 bit application support may be removed from the mac os.

It's our understanding that upcoming OSX 10.14 will still support 32 bit applications. That is what apple told developers at last years WWDC. Until i hear differently, that's what i'm going to assume. I'm assuming we will hear more at the next WWDC. 

To be honest, i don't think apple will ever replace the complete quicktime api functionality. AVFoundation replaces some quicktime functionality. It does not support all of the existing quicktime codecs, and also does not support all of the functionality of the old quicktime movie editing api calls.

An interesting question is what will happen to your old movie files when apple drops quicktime support. Given their lack of support or care for old file formats and associated older applications, i don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it.

What people can do is run an older osx version in a Parallels virtual environment. So if apple drops 32 bit support (and quicktime) in osx 10.15, then you could still access it in a Parallels virtual environment running osx 10.13 or 10.14. My guess is that this will be the only way to access older quicktime codec file formats not supported by AVFoundation once 32 bit support is dropped from the os.

• when i tried to open the 64 bit version it told me another reason why i can't use that one either but they both worked. i miss quicktime pro and iMovie 6 still and have them on an older computer but it is just too slow.

• You can still run Quicktime Player 7 Pro on osx 10.13.4.

• There's something wrong with my computer where certain software doesn't work like iMovie and Compressor and Quicktime Pro. I would have to wipe everything clean and start over but I didn't want to so I just work around it.

• A year later, and the impending arrival of MacOS Catalina will kill off 32-bit apps entirely.

Will new alternatives for the missing 32-bit Quicktime functionality be available in the Mac 64-bit version of SA soon?  (You had said that “We've been looking at options for the post quicktime world to extend the 32 bit app's movie capabilities into the 64 bit build.”) 

Thanks much, John

• We're working on future proofing the Studio Artist code base. We'll discuss more on the specifics of what that means later.

This reply was deleted.

Interdimensional Coincidence Control

Hi everyone, I am glad the site is still here! Here is a new short video I made. All made in Studio Artist, several separate videos with alpha channels, then combined in layers with the music in Blender. A lot of MSG running through brushes, with several of the brush Path Starts being controlled by the MSG Scan Generator in the Generator part of the Path Start in the Paint Synthesizer. Also some MSG running through a brush, then making a video of that with an alpha channel, then making that a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Mar 22

Whats going on with this site?

Has anyone else gotten a warning about this site disappearing? An email form just popped up, asking me to contract the owner and leave a message to let them know that they may loose their "network"Did Synthetik forget to pay it's bills, or is something else going on?I think 8 months is more than enough vacation time. Is anyone at Synthetik doing any development work at all? 

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Emil G. on Saturday

Having difficulty exporting canvas as image

I'd like to export a canvas as a .tiff/.tif image file to a folder I made on my desktop.I select that from a dropdown menu, I can name the exported file, change the extension, etc, and I press save but nothing happens.It's always worked until now. It seems like a simple task. Any ideas?I'm on Mac OSX 12.6, if that matters, and my system hasn't changed since the last time I was able to export successfully.Thanks  

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Tony Bouttell Mar 5