Working with Texture Synthiser

Hi,

I ran Texture Synthesizer, on a cropped portion of a much larger image, that I had saved.

When I applied Texture Synthesizer to the original image, (using the same parameters), I didn't get the same result.

Why

if I'm working on a portion of a much larger image, I am usually doing it do save time on some of the processing steps I use.  Now,  it seems that I also need to scale some effects, for larger canvases. This sort of defeats the purpose of using the smaller portions.

I was able to compensate by changing the Ratio parameter under Generator, from 262 to 1000,.....sort of.. I have to take a closer look, to see if I need to modify other parameter for Texture Synthesizer. 

This is the cropped image, after I applied Texture Synthesizer. Its size is 5x3.5 in. @300dpi

10847612079?profile=RESIZE_710x

This is the larger image, after I applied Texture Synthesizer. Its size is approx 12x19 in. @300dpi

10847612458?profile=RESIZE_710x

These are the parameters I used:

10847614061?profile=RESIZE_400x

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'd need to take a look at the full preset to fully comment on what is going on.  If you want to post the preset file or email it to me i can comment further.

You can configure a Texture Synthesizer preset to always generate the same texture that should scale as you increase the canvas size.  Or you can configure it to be modulating some aspect of the texture by what is already in the canvas.  And in that case if you run it canvas times in succession, the texture will always be evolving.

It's something similar to what we talked about in your last post.  Recursive processing, where the output of the canvas is being feed back into a process.

• One Texture Synthesizer parameter to be aware of is the Scaling option in the Mapping control panel.

10847930675?profile=RESIZE_400x

When Scaling is set to relative, then the effect of the Scale parameter in the Spatial control panel is going to track the size of the canvas.  So if the canvas gets bigger, then the visual effect of the spatial control panel Scale that you see in the generated texture field will track that increase in the canvas size.

When Scaling is set to absolute, then the generated texture's spatial frequencies will not upsize with the increase in canvas size.  They will always stay the same.

So if you want the absolute frequency of the texturing to stay the same even as you increase the canvas size, then you would want the mapping control panel Scaling to be set to absolute rather than relative.

My take on reading your email is that this second absolute scaling option is what you were looking for.  Let me know if i am mistaken about that.

Your particular Texture Synthesizer preset is using a Displace option for the Effect Type in the Effect control panel.

10847933457?profile=RESIZE_400x

So if you wanted everything going on in it to relative scale up in a larger canvas size (everything associated with the texture synthesizer effet getting larger as the canvas size gets larger), then you would want to adjust that Displace Amt appropriately (increasing it based on how much you increase the canvas size).

Conversely, if you want everything to stay the same spatially in the effect and just be run on a larger canvas, then you would not change that Displace Amt setting.  But you would want to switch the Mapping Scaling option from relative to absolute.  And then maybe fiddle with the Scale control in the Spatial control panel to get the texture spatial frequency to work out the way you liked it in your original preset. 

The visual appearance of the generated texture field will usually change when you change the Scaling option since you are switching from relative Scale to absolute Scale.

Your particular preset has the Depth Mod set to 200, and the Depth Mod Src set to the Canvas. 

10847934066?profile=RESIZE_400x

So this introduces a form of recursive processing into the texture synthesis if you run it multiple times on the same canvas.  Because what is in the canvas is modulating the z-depth of the procedural noise generator.

There is also a second form of recursion going on in the effect, since it is using the generated procedural noise field to displacement map the canvas.

If you run the effect multiple times you can see what i mean by this.

• Thanks! It was setting Mapping/Scaling parm to Absolute, that did the trick.

I figured out about recursion, while I was animating. For my needs, I had to set all the sources, to source, to about any recursion.

This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13