MSG Input modulation question

Hi John, If you get time, can you please explain "Input Modulation" in Evolver a little bit? Like ConvolveMod, 3CMixMod, or 3CDisplaceMod, etc. What are the proper ways to set these up? Can you please explain how to set up the different inputs? I am having a little trouble getting my brain around these.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The modulation inputs are just what you use to specify the signal that is modulating whatever process is going on internally to that specific msg processor. So ConvolveMod for example, has 2 inputs, labeled In and Modulate In, and one output.

With your question below, IN, Out, and Modulate In are 3 different IO ports for the processor. So when you say below it's always reverting to IN, that's just the default first IO port that is shown in the IO popup. The setting of the Bus popup is what that particular IO port is actually set to. So as you switch the IO popup, the setting in the Bus popup changes to reflect the particular bus stream that is specified for the IO port you choose.

The IO - Bus popups used for editing are space efficient, but a little confusing if you don't understand what is going on.
    Let's say there are 3 different IO ports for the processor, like in the ConvolveMod example. You only see the Bus setting for the current selected IO port in the IO popup. When you change the selected IO port, then the BUS setting updates to reflect the new selected IO port.

Sorry i missed your original post on this until this afternoon or i would have answered earlier.
    • Thanks, John.

I think I get it now, I see what you mean. That helps quite a bit actually.
    • WOW!
      OK, I totally get how Evolver's inputs & outputs work now. I guess I was a bit thick...
      I always loved Evolver since I started using it but since you explained that, since yesterday my MSG presets are even cooler than before!!! I am getting much more complex imagery and variation and having tons of fun playing with all the streams. It is amazing all the variation that can come about just by routing things a little differently.
      THANKS JOHN!
    • One advantage of the whole MSG architecture is that you can very easily work with the individual channels of a color image. So you can apply specific processors only to a specific color channel. And you have a lot of control over switching between different color spaces by using the different msg processors that do that.
  • I have tried setting the input to "Modulate In" but they always revert back to "In"
This reply was deleted.