Generative Art

One of the cool things about MSG Evolver is that it allows you to create generative or procedural art. I thought i'd pass on 2 videos i saw recently that involve interviews with Brian Eno where he discusses generative art. Brian is not using Studio Artist in either of the videos, so its a little off topic, but i thought it might stimulate your brains and the ideas behind what he is discussing are things you could apply to your Studio Artist work in the area of generative art. This first video talks about Eno's 77 Million Paintings project. 77 Million Paintings is really just 300 images Eno created recombined using DIrector. Director combines different images together over time to create an ever evolving montage of multiple images, which is where the 77 million different images comes from. So any of you could do something similar with your Studio Artist images if you wanted to do a little Director or Flash programming. If our development ideas come to full fruition you might be able to do the whole dynamic installation thing in Studio Artist 4.0. The second is a loose discussion about cellular automata and generative art. You can create some forms of cellular automata style imagery using Studio Artist or MSG Evolver using repeated application of certain presets. Using MSG Evolver and its user directed evolution capabilities open up whole new levels of creativity since you are directing the evolution of the actual processing modules used to build a complete generative art algorithm (as opposed to just specifying parameters for some pre-existing algorithm.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –