The quicktime tutorials for SA have been a great help... MSG is a much more arcane program than SA and I think users would be greatly helped with similar instructional material... Maybe folks who have gotten a strong handle on the App could submit Screencasts or QT's ? Any chance for updated SA QT lessons or tips? On another topic, while I find MSG invaluable for generating MSG presets for SA, I also find it very twitchy and unstable when using it to directly effect QT/DV footage. For the most part SA will just chugg along for days applying complex PASeqs to QT files, with only the occasionally frustrating app crash on long (more than 5K frames) movies. My experience with standalone MSG has been much more mixed, with the app quitting prematurely about 50% of the time on the same computer ( A desktop G5, dual 2.73 ghz engine with 8 gigs of RAM-old, but not slow). This is a shame because Art Mapping produces bizarre and other worldly effects that can barely be described or imagined--Images in a world flooded with content that are truly unique

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• msg evolver used to crash on me alot too so i use it mainly to create presets, make short animations using the 8 animation memory boxes and to process movies, including artmapping, that are up to 3 minutes long. i refer back to the evolver guide and notes in the documentation, the older sa blog (has a few blog posts on msg evolver) and i google sa and msg evolver tutorials on the internet. i've gone from having to take screenshots of everything i did to actually using the app to make movies. i now love it. i think i will post a video example of an animation i did by using a vectorized drawing, putting it through some of the geometric effects and then using the animation memories.
    donna
  • I agree some msg evolver video tutorials would be a good thing.

If you get a crash you should email the osx crash log to techsupport@synthetik.com, the logs are located in users/you/library/logs/crashreporter, and you can email us the crash log file as an email attachment. The operating system stores them there for all programs and just adds on new crash logs at the end of the existing one for a particular version of a program, so you can email us the info about your previous crashes. its the best way to help us fix any problems we may be unaware of.

The art mapper is a port of an older experimental program i used for my own personal art integrated into mg evolver and extended to use msg presets in addition to just databases of images. again, if you run into a problem, don't assume Synthetik knows about it, we might be unaware and we can't fix it unless we know about it. msg evolver is so extensible its hard to test everything as thoroughly as studio artist. i personally find the program very stable, but then again perhaps i subconsciously don't do certain things since i wrote it.

It is possible to configure msg processor chains with parameter settings that will take a long time to process larger images. that isn't a crash, its just taking a really long time for it to run. there are a few problematic msg processors where the amount of processing time for an image increases with a power law relationship as the image gets larger, so an image 2 times as big might require more than 2 times the processing time, so as the image gets larger the processing time really balloons. i'd like to add something that flags you about that situation or even better rewrite those routines so they run faster.

the version 4 development code runs stuff like msg or ip ops in threads and keeps the interface active while they run, so it will allow you to stop running things that are taking forever to process, unlike the current apps where the processing needs to finish before you can interact with the controls again.
    • i am fascinated and confused by what msg evolver is doing this morning. i am using photos and collages and running each image i select through alot more evolution than usual before i put it in an animation memory box. when i generate a movie, rather than it going through the 8 images i selected and quickly creating a 71 frame movie there are things i have never seen before plus the source image in different colors (which i did not select) and it is taking a very long time to process and crashed once. i pictured my collages just being warped and having different effects, instead i am generating imagery that contains some of the collage and alot of amazing things, i just wish i had a clearer understanding of what i'm doing so i could control it a bit.
This reply was deleted.