Iterative Processes - 4.03 update for these PASeq presets

The Iterative Processes PASeq preset category is a set of PASeq presets we've been shipping with Studio Artist 4. They show off different approaches to building paint effects by using keyframed animation over a 10 frame animation cycle to build up paint and image processing effects. Different paint parameters are keyframe interpolated over the 10 frame cycle, and combined with different image processing effects or other paint presets to build up different paint styles.

The whole point of these PASeq presets is that you press the Animate button at the top of the PASeq window and then let them run for the full 10 frame cycles to build up the effect. So they are not designed to process movies, or to run in a single cycle by just loading the preset and pressing the action button.

We recently noticed that most of these were acting weird during the tween animation cycles when testing them with Studio Artist 4.03. They basically take a long time to run when painting in the tween frame interpolation cycles (the frame times between the 2 keyframes). So i hand edited all of them to fix the issue. I've attached the updated Iterative Processes PASeq preset folder that you can use to replace your existing one. If you have this PASeq category, it would be in the Preset/PASAeq/New folder in your main Studio Artist 4 folder. You would replace that old category folder with this new one.

We'll be covering some of the different examples in this PASeq preset category on the daily Studio Artist effects blog later this month.

Here's a simple example to help understand how these PASeq presets were designed the way they are built. Suppose you want to build up a painting by applying different auto-paint passes, where you reduce the brush size over time. So you start with a large brush size to rough in the canvas, and then use progressively smaller brush sizes for subsequent paint passes to build detail in the final painting.

So you could build a PASeq that does this using multiple autopaint action steps, where you manually reduce the brush size for each recorded autopaint action step. Another approach is to record  a single autopaint action step with a large brush size. The manually edit the brush size to be very small, and option click a new keyframe for that action step at keyframe 10.

If you then run the single step PASeq for 10 cycles using the Animate button, the brush size will automatically be interpolated from the original large size to the small brush size you recorded for the keyframe at frame time 10.

All of the PASeq preset in this category are designed with this second approach. SO you are using animation features to build PASeq presets that work over multiple iterative cycles to build up a paint effects for generating a static 2D image.

Iterative Processes.zip

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi all,

I was trying out IterativeProcessB and found that it only processed the portion of the picture in the current view. Meaning, if I was viewing the picture and only a portion of it was being displayed then, the part that wasnt being displayed, did not get processed.

These PASeq are amazing John. Thanks so much for all the hard word you and your team have put into it.

• Well, it wasnt the paseq that caused the problem. It was creating a third layer from the layer processed by the paseq and a layer containing the original. The result was a merging of only the part of the image I could see.  fyi when I saved the canvas and opened it in Photoshop, the effect was still there.

Oddly, when I changed the view to contain the entire picture in SA, the effect "went away".

• WOW John,

Thanks for the update. All the work that it took is much appreciated.

This reply was deleted.