Always the fanboi, I have to say, I'd love to run Studio Artist on one of the new iMacs.

And, an M1 in an iPad? The iPad has never been a "computer," but an M1 implies it could run Mac OS. Personally, I like iOS. I'm satisfied and well adapted to iOS being different, and not really a computer. But now, I'm like "what the heck?"

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was too busy this morning working on V5.5.4 to remember they were doing their dog and pony show.

24 inch display for the new iMac? Are they bailing on 27 inch displays?

Or were they having issues getting the M1 chip to deal with the extra display size?  Or saving the larger screen size to stick on a pro model they then price gouge excessive markups for? 

Either way, that part of the announcement is disappointing and lame.

An ARM chip iMac is of course great.  The M1 ARM chip design is great.

But keep in mind that this is just a M1 powerbook squeezed out to a 24 inch imac display with colored rims as a marketing gimmick that will interfere with the color perception of what you are working with on on the screen.  Someone was joking that they are saving gray and black rims for a more expensive pro model (except that's probably not a joke but a glimpse into reality of what apple computer is really all about these days).

You may hear people bitching online about only 8gb of memory.  Keep in mind that the ARM system they have built is very efficient at utilizing virtual memory and swapping cache memory in and out  to it.  I haven't noticed any issues with the M1 powerbook we have here as far as needing more ram memory.

Note the following regarding 8 cores:

The new M1 processor has 8 CPU cores (sort of).  It has 4 high performance cores, and 4 efficiency cores. 

Studio Artist gets 4-way splits on M1s when we ask for the # of cores to use to thread an image processing routine that splits.

I use apple's information appliance iPad as a Kindle reader, and for web browsing.  It is great for those applications. 

And occasionally to run some audio app like a synthesizer. But the artificial limitations of the architecture severely limit the use-ability of the later scenario for me.  Too restrictive to be a serious music making device.

And that is the story of the iPad in general. Could be great, but they limit it's functionality on purpose as some kind of weird locked down marketing restriction.  Making it too restrictive for serious computer applications.

And let's be very clear, apple's information appliances are very severely locked down. Kind of like Stalin made them.  And we all know how that closed system made out in the end.

Let's also be very clear that it wouldn't have to be that way.  They do it on purpose.

Whatever issues i may have with the glitchy nature of MicroSoft's Surface trackpad, or the weird ways the menus seem to just run by themselves on Surface devices, they deserve serious credit for making it a real computer with a touch screen. With a real file system. That you can run real professional applications on.  Just saying.

I use apple's information appliance iPad as a Kindle reader, and for web browsing.  It is great for those applications. 

> And occasionally to run some audio app like a synthesizer. But the artificial limitations of the architecture severely limit the use-ability of the later scenario for me.  Too restrictive to be a serious music making device.

This is exactly me, right down to the synth. 

I enjoy some synths on my old (too old for Apple now, apparently) ipad, such as KQ MiniSynth, AnalogKit, Audulus, but it is such a pain to transfer files to my computer to actually be able to use them in something like Ableton Live or MetaSynth.  Some of them I have to go through DropBox exclusively so it's like 6 extra steps and heaven help you if your internet connection is spotty.

This article tells you everything you need to know about apples ios app store.

And by default, apples mac app store.

Take home message.

Legitimate developers get punished by the system.

Meanwhile, it's ultimately in apples financial interest to let scam apps prosper in the system, since they get 30% of the take.  Until the publicity gets too negative, then they remove them.

Apple also puts intense pressure on ios developers to position the selling of their software as 'reoccurring monthly subscriptions'. 

Because once again, they are trying to base a large percentage of their business model now on 'services'.  Services are things you buy from them with a reoccurring monthly credit card charge. Preferably a reoccurring monthly charge on the apple credit card.

Apple also prevents legitimate software companies from getting any information on their customers (ie: the people who bought their software sold in the ios or mac app stores).  Apple harvests it for their own nefarious interests.

As a vendor to Apple Media, (including the App Store), I can't really say much about the above readily observable issues.

Another good read is Cory Doctorow's Lockdown: The coming war on general-purpose computing.

When I was middle school, the school got an Apple II. They didn't know what to do with it, so they let me take it home on weekends. I sat there with it hooked up to my TV on the dining room table, teaching myself Apple Basic, and saving my programs on a  TRS-80 AM/FM/TV radio cassette recorder.

I'd take the lid off and stare at the circuit board. Apple ~wanted~ you to do that. They wanted you to see the insides. You could "PEEK" and "POKE" in your programs, touching the chips that you were looking at.

Fast forward to today, and our devices are 50% epoxy. Batteries and RAM glued in, 3.5mm audio jacks removed.

It's weird. I have to say, it totally makes sense from a capitalist market-darwinism. I'm always amazed when I meet someone who doesn't know how to "save a file on their desktop," and even worse, they can't save a file in a folder. It took me a long time to accept that most people don't understand or give a crap about abstracted computing environments.

"It just works" …the death knell of open computing. If you can open it, you can break it, and then it won't work anymore. And most people don't ever want to be bothered with why.

The other culprit in my mind is Moore's law. Paradoxically, it brings us more powerful computers, but eventually delivers us to a threshold where more computing power isn't needed. I mean, what comes after 8K TV, seriously? Sure, I get it 8K virtual worlds moving in real time. But those will be imposed upon us some day. That's who we'll attend events and meet people. 

But I don't need a new iPhone every year any more. My X is doing quite well, thank you. Though, it's not purple! My intel MacBook 16" purchased 4 milliseconds before the M1 is still pretty awesome. And do I need to upgrade my 1TB iPad Pro to the new M1 2TB iPad Pro (over $2,000!), and add a $449 Hermes AirTag?

No, I don't. But Apple needs to make their money somehow. Maybe you need a new watch band, or how about this new feature that would on many iOS devices, but only works on this ~particular~ iOS device.

Shareholders demand their pound of flesh and now that devices are fully capable, two secure, and ultimately digital fast food machines (and by that I mean machines that serve up "Digital fast food"), it's time to charge for the food.

I don't like it, but I get the Darwinian capitalist expansion that is leading to a relationship with Apple where you're paying them N/month for stuff, where N can be WAY more than the old $75 cable bill. When I used to buy record albums, I bought a lot for a kid, over a hundred a month. All atoms are turning into bits, and Apple wants to be the bit-meter.

There's an exchange from Chariots of Fire that goes like this:

Reverend. J.D. Liddell: Sandy, the kingdom of God is not a democracy. The Lord never seeks reelection. There's no discussion, no deliberation, no referanda as to which road to take. There's one right, one wrong. One absolute ruler.
Sandy: A dictator, you mean?
Reverend J.D. Liddell: Aye, but a benign, loving dictator.

Poetic, perhaps, but in a post-post-modern era, I think some of us would add:

Yes, but a dictator nonetheless.

It's grievious, and not necessarily benign either. I'm living the high-life. My iPhone delivers yummy Pad Thai to my house in under 30 minutes. (once, I got it in ~16 minutes). Awesome for me. But what about the poor fellow, (and I mean literally poor) peeing in a bottle before he handles my food?

So much of it is just Darwin. Scientists are going ahead breeding human/monkey hybrids, and they'll be here long before the ethicists have figured out what it means.

I appreciate your individual perseverance, and I miss the days when you could upgrade your RAM in 10 minutes after a purchase from Kerry at MacWarehouse.

One of the best things we can do as "old-timers" is teach young people to retain their individualism by creating outside of capitalist contexts. I actually like some of the horsepower capitalism provides society, but it is inherently faustian. The second a kid writes a song, the next thought is "how do I get it on Spotify." It's impossible to escape.

But seriously, young people are scared, and we can be good grownups by encouraging them to develop their inner selves. Hopefully, they will figure out how to cut some of these chains that are slowly wrapping around us. Crypto is one great example, and the innovation there is being driven by young people. So find some kids (you know 20, 30, 40 year olds) and help them bust out and find themselves and their talents. That is the best thing we can do.

Rant over send Hula Daddy.

RSS

Latest Activity

Synthetik Software posted a video

mondoSimplifyPaint3b.mov

The fine vector paint is generated from a TSP (traveling salesman problem) sorted set of automatically generated regions (made with new Mondo Simplify Path Start generator in Studio Artist V5.5.5). I'm using a modulated water wash and spatially…
2 hours ago
Paul Perlow posted a photo
5 hours ago
Paul Perlow commented on upcong's photo
Thumbnail

劳动之歌01

"Yes! And the title is great too. It means "Song of labor""
7 hours ago
Synthetik Software commented on upcong's photo
Thumbnail

劳动之歌01

"This whole series is great."
8 hours ago
Synthetik Software replied to JohnHolland's discussion External GPU for Intel Mac - Anyone using one?
"Rosetta 2 actually does a pretty good job. But things will speed up when we do a native ARM compile."
8 hours ago
Scott Smith posted a photo
8 hours ago
upcong posted photos
8 hours ago
JohnHolland replied to JohnHolland's discussion External GPU for Intel Mac - Anyone using one?
"> all of our image processing happens in CPU cores Wow, I didn’t know this. What are the implications with regards to speed when Studio Artist will run natively on Apple’s Silicon chips?"
20 hours ago

© 2021   Created by Synthetik Software.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service