How to get Apple ProRes and other Codecs.

Found this useful information on the web.  You can get access to all the great Apple Codecs AND you can use them with SA.  SA defaults to Animation but I change it to ProRes 422 and the files are way smaller and look just as good as Animation.  Plus if you do have Final Cut X you have to use ProRes 422 files.  

So here is how you get access to them.  I think you need to reboot after that to have them show.  Then change the setting in SA  File>Movie Codec Settings.  Works like a charm

Sorry Windows folks this won't work on windows.

Re: Getting the ProRes Codec
by  on Oct 7, 2011 at 7:51:02 am

I've just found a way to sort this problem out that gets around this install 'problem':

In order to get these to show and also to have access to all the other georgeous 422 codecs and other goodies, download the new QT codec pack: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396

Then use the little app UNPKG ( http://www.timdoug.com/unpkg/ ) to unpack the contents by simply dragging the downloaded PKG codec pack onto the app window. This then unpacks on the desktop. Inside navigate the folders until you get to the QT .component files.

Next, drag these into your Library/Quicktime/ folder and then you'll have the LT codecs ( and many others) to use in FCP 6 and all other apps like Streamclip, QT Pro etc. (I would recommend renaming the existing ones in case of problems of course)

I've done a test with it and it works like a charm on my Mac Pro running 10.6.7 and FCP 6.0.6. I'm not able to create an LT sequence but if you create a new one and then drag the material on with the prompt enabled to match settings it will make an LT sequence. I was also able to render out a 422 LT clip from QT Pro and Streamclip to use in the project. All the correct 422 labels also show in the codec lists in all encoding apps.

If you try and install the QT pack on anything not FCP X it will give you an error but this manual installation gets around the Apple Police and their insistence you buy everything new the minute it comes out! You can keep FCP 7 and X, I'm quite happy with 6!

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13