Hi John

I have no idea what you are going through. However the impact you have made not to continue with the user forum and your desire keep it as a permanent feature as promised in the past is a big shock. It also betrays the faith and love we have shown in you and Studio Artist. 

Bluntly spoken, it sucks. That you have chosen to follow this direction in silence, allowing no compassion or understanding on our part is a betrayal of the deepest level.

What is going on? This is not the John Dalton I have known all these years.

I regret writing such an angry response. However you have gone too long and too far on your path of silence.

I wish you well and hope u and your family are or will be in good health.

Sincerely,

Paul Perlow

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'd prefer to keep on using SA long after my computer Konks out, and long after SA no longer runs on a later version of the Operating System.

There is nothing worse than the dreaded, "Some system extensions aren't compatible with current versions of macOS or won't be compatible with a future version of macOS. Learn what to ..."

The only way to future-proof your machine, is to make a full sustem backup, and store it somewhere safe. At least this way you could restore the OS and SA onto a new syatem in the future, (assuming the hardware still supports the Older OS)

• I hope John is okay. I don't know if just this forum is shutting down but if he's not going to keep up with Studio Artist, maybe he can sell the software to someone that's interested in keeping it going.

• IF Studio Artist were to fold, I can't see anyone taking on the task of keeping it going. Software development is an expensive undertaking, especially something as esoteric as SA. On top of that, it's built on a file platform, that very few companies use today. That makes for a very small pool of developers. Even if they put the code base into the Public Domain I'm betting few people would want to tackle it. (maybe as vanity project?)

I sincerely hope SA doesnt fold, it has given me thousands of hours of pleasure. There is no other product that comes even close to what SA can do. It would be a huge loss to us all if it dissapeared.

• I sent a message earlier to SA Support asking if John and his family are ok. That is most important. I am waiting for a response. Both Studio Artist and John have given meaning to my life and lifted me up from very difficult moments. Even this crisis is bring members of the community back together. 

• Hey Paul its been a few days. Did you get response from SA?

• I'd suggest going to a discord server as a replacement for this group if it is indeed at the point of its demise. I use it with other online communities that I am a part of and find it to be pretty useful.

• This NING forum is still here (as of this writing) - tho I can't seem to upload zip files any more... But - If this does suddenly go away and someone has started a user sharing group on discord or something similar - please do share the location. I have enjoyed the sharing here. SA is such an oddball application. It is something special. The application world is flooded now with "AI" tools and filter factories - but SA has always been more than that. Sharing with creators here - viewing various artists expressions thru SA, has been a retreat for me. I would love to continue for as long as there is a community and SA the application, continues to function.

• I recall running into the Synthetik booth at MacWorld SF in 1999 (not 100% sure of the year, could it have been 1998?), and being wowed by John's demos, so much so that I'd watch for 15-30 minutes. And I did that the next year too. He's so kind with his time and patient. It did take me twenty years to finally crack the code as it were and really take advantage of more than 1% of the capabilities. Using the Studio Artist program has given me a lot of joy over the years. I thank John for giving us a tool that allowed our creativity to expand in mind-blowing ways.

I am saddened that Synthetik is seeming to be in hibernation. I hope John and friends are OK and will take the time they need to deal with whatever it is.

• Craig

The upload function is still working on single files. I just tested it and it's fine.I understand how you feel. I have been feeling sad just at the thought that it will not exist anymore. This community has meant a lot to me. Chris mentioned  a discord server. I dont know what that means. Any further thoughts, Chris??

Studio Artist remains the most brilliant piece of software I have ever come across. It helps create the Art of Surprise. It's Pure Joy. I hope,  John, that you continue creating more versions. I also feel lost and miss your intreraction as well. You have been the most giving person I have come across in this field.

This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13