To Datamosh and beyond?

I expect most of you know what i'm refering to wit this effect. It's a glitching with codecs like h264 where the the last frame of a previous clip gets frozen and used as a colur pallete for the next. It's been exploited numerous times in edgy rap videos etc.

StudioArtist seems ideal for making similar effects, given it's high levels of pixel manipulation controls.

Expt 1
What i'm trying out for a start is using two layers - Layer 1 (topmost) has a still image. Layer 2 has a video.

On Canvas/Layer 1 let's say i'm applying the Displace image effect to the still image and i want to animate it over time.
In the displace editor panel i choose "IP Source manages angle and amt" and i select Layer 2 (the video) as IP Source.

What i'm expecting is some trace of the video to be visibly shoving the still image around when i click Animate.

There is much (beautiful) confusion but no evident print of the video coming through.

Other problems are: losing the player controls when switching between layers. Movie Layer menu is greyed out and i can't find how to ungrey it.
Its a shame because i feel i'm getting close.

Any ideas?

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• great this is close! I'm getting somewhere by using a blend mode (Replace Odd Field) on Fixed image to add a sort of glitched out feedback effect. I think i've come up with datamoshing as if it were possible in DV codec! he he

Will post a video soon if this forum doesn't vanish...

• Trying and getting so close but struggling to ge the movies to play together. The displacement layer just stays at one frame argh. What Version of SA are you using?

• I use both SA 5 and SA 5.5. 
      Is your displacement layer a movie or a still image?

• Both layers are movies but only Layer 1 (to be displaced) plays, Layer 2 (to displace with) stands still on the first frame.

• If you can attach your PASeq here as a zip file, I will take a look at it

• My best guess without seeing your PASeq is that you don't have "Layer Playback" turned to "On" in the Paint Action Sequence Editor. See attached screenshot. I just go ahead and always turn them all on, because for some reason they are all "off" by default. In fact, I have an empty PASeq preset saved with everything turned on, saved in a Favorites category, so I don't have to go into the editor and turn them all on every time I want to use a Paint Action Sequence. If you're using masking/Selection on different layers you will definitely want the Mask Playback turned on also.12404039282?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Thanks i'll check that. You're also on Windows buy the looks of it, I think recent Mac versions are broken since the movie layer actions are all to pot and greyed out most of the time, and speaking of time... Time is a bit limited curently but i'll report back with findings (and paseq) as as soon as i can.

This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13