Tip for Saving a Region Selection

Since there is no way to save a region selection in a Session Save, I have come up with a workaround that may help everyone: 1. First create the mask. 2. Create a new layer and turn the mask on. 3. Go to adjust and chose Lum. 4. Apply till the open area is 100% black (or white.) 5. Invert the region mask (Canvas, Region Selection Commands, Invert) 6. Apply the mask gain on the layer. 7. Choose Lum again and apply till the area is 100% white(or black) 8. Turn off that layer 8. You will now have a black and white template that can be used to create a new mask after you save the session.

DSC_02570000Template for Region

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sure, this is sort of like the function of saving a selection to an alpha chanel that you see in Photoshop. Thanks Paul.

A few features of SA's Region Selection tools that I like...

Using your above approach, once you have a selection mask you want to save,
    1) create a new layer
    2) make sure the layer is filled with black
    3) make sure your source color is set to pure white
    4) Hit the Action button. This will fill the selection with the source color (white)
    4a) For this to work, make sure your Region Selection panel (use the hot key command-4 to toggle into and out of the panel) is set so the Fill Action is set to Src Color
    5) in the future when you want to recall this selection, switch to this layer and from the main menu bar, select, Canvas>Set Region Selection to>Canvas Image.

There are all sorts of variations on this theme you could try, including using the "set layer alpha to..." options. Also, Image Processors can be configured so they process Region Selections and Alpha, then the output can be drawn to region selections or alpha.... I guess it's a matter of what you're comfortable with.
    • Do you guys want the ability to have multiple masks associated with a particular layer?
      • Yesw, that would make things a lot easier.
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13