Paint Synthesizer Macro Edits

I'm doing another pass on adding some additional Paint Synthesizer macro edits for Studio Artist 4. So i thought i'd throw open a discussion for additional high level paint editing options people would like to see available. Feel free to comment on things you would like to see added, the suggestions could be specific or very vague. Because i'm so comfortable editing the paint synth it's easy for me to miss obvious things that should be added as macro edits. I'd really like to provide enough options so that people who are not comfortable with detailed editing in the paint synth can still have a wide variety of options available for modifying and editing paint preset. So any beginners, feel free to comment on things you would like to adjust that you haven't been able to figure out. I think the macro edits can be really useful even for people very comfortable with the paint synthesizer controls. Certain operations, like paint synth regionization for example, require specific settings for a number of obscure parameters to operate correctly, so having a quick shortcut available for setting all of those options with one command is a really useful thing. So experts, there are probably repetitive editing tasks you do over and over that could be simplified with a macro edit, so speak up as well.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• John,

One parameter I reset all the time is the "Brush Modulations" (Brush Size Range).
    It does not take much to get to it now, but if I could access it (or my previously saved settings) without havng to open the Paint Synthesizer the usual way, that would be great.
    It is likely you are going to tell me that this functionaloty is already in there?
    ;-)
    • How do you reset it?
      • Paint Synthesizer > Brush Modulation > Brush SIze Range, changing the numbers (up from 0 and down from 100) in various modulations that I then save with the memory buttons.
        Which means that after I have my various saved settings, I can go back to that panel and just click on the button I know will give me what I want.
        I'd like to have access to that while in the canvas, and not have to "change hat" in order to do so.

While I am at it, how can I make one of my saved settings the default setting?

Thanks John
        • The default setting is going to be whatever the current paint preset contains since the controls mirror what the current preset contains (if i understand you question correctly). Once you close studio artist any setting stored in the memory buttons should be saved and be there the next time you run studio artist. and they also get saved in any workspace presets you save.

I'll think about the rest of what you are saying.
          • John,

If I save a session or workspace, i can open it later and my brush settings are opened with it just as I left them.
            However, I was thinking of having my custom brush modulation settings saved as default settings for when I open a new session or workspace, not just when I open an old one.
            It's like having made a set of custom brushes that I would use for any new painting, regardless of source image or whatever.
            Thank you
  • I would like to see on screen indicators that show what macro edits are on or off or available.

Sometimes, the macro indicator for making the preset a representational painting (clone color source) does not seem to do that effectively with some presets. I would like to see it work with all presets.
    (Would also like to see brush size, bleed and other brush indicators on screen)

I would also like to see macro edits that can change the type of paint into oil, watercolor, acrylic and the 15 or 20 other paint types.

A macro for portrait painting would be helpful. Also lighter, darker, value, sat and hue with sliders.

I would also like to see on screen the common edit tools of lasso etc as seen in other programs.

I do like the idea of having enough macro edits so that in most cases it won't be necessary to go into the paint synthesizer to hunt for obscure settings.

Paint texture/brush stroke macro edit.

The macro edits could become the primary control panel for all various styles and effects.

A fill canvass macro edit that takes the place of geodesic interpolation in terms of eliminating white spaces in a painting.

I know some of these suggestions are not strictly speaking macro edits; but I thought I would mention them anyway.
    • Hi,
      For years, we've been talking about the need (for some of us anyway) to make all the controls as transparent as possible. I find that the best moments in my work take place when I am so immersed in the experience, I no longer see anything else. That can be accomplished by the connection to the image itself (it happens), but above all, it is helped by an interface that nearly disappears while the work is taking place.
      That is why I always use a dual monitors set up, trying to move all the palettes and controls to the secondary one in order to be "alone with" my work on the main one.
      Things like "fit to screen" are needed (I believe that is coming in version 4?), a hot key to toggle all the palettes/controls on and off would be great, etc.
      By the way, I had a visitor here yesterday who is a prominent figure in the world of live performances, he was quite taken by Studio Artist, he looks forward to what the next version of Studio Artist will be able to do in terms of support for real-time performance work (he uses Max/MSP, will there be OSC support?), but the current version already convinced him it was time to purchase it right away (you owe me another $50 John;-).
      • We are looking at adding OSC support at some point.

When you say toggle on and off palettes, do you mean drop to full screen view and back?
        • Yes.
          From the "plumbing" view to the immersive one (and back).
          Thanks John
        • I know that SA is designed to keep the screen uncluttered;
          but I would find it helpful if I had the option of having the macro control panel on screen at all times (something like-dare I say it- the painter palettes - also like painter I would like to see one location for each art media type eg. all oils, watercolors etc etc).
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13