random playback and/or manipulation of video

is there a way to play with the timing of video playback or some algorithmic approach to altering or manipulating the movie. something like the data shatter movie brushes but for the whole movie. it seems you can do this manually with a loaded canvas movie but is there a way to do it with less control...i see there is a way to randomly reorder bezier keyframes but i'm only starting with those. thanks...

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You could configure the paint synthesizer to do it.

You could build a paint preset using region fill as brush pen mode in the paint synthesizer that is based on a movie brush using random frame indexing. Then you could goto the region as brush mode control panel in the paint synthesizer and set the generator to be full screen rectangle. You would also want a max path length in path shape control panel to be 1, since you only want this large full screen brush nib to draw once for a path.

version 4 has some other approaches to doing this, but in 3.5 i think this might be the best approach. many people are not aware of the fact that they can configure the paint synth to be a general purpose image or movie processing module by using the 'full screen rectangle' generator option in region fill as brush pen mode.
    • what is random frame indexing and where do i find it?!
      • If you got to the brush source control panel in the paint synthesizer and switch the brush type to movie brush (or open a preset that already uses a movie brush), you will see there is a frame mod parameter, which determines how the movie brush indexes through its frames. There's a random option in there.

If you are using a movie background texture, there is a similar frame modulation parameter.
        • it worked! i had no idea the paint synthesizer could do something like that. plus there's so many other options to add to it, instant split screen effects etc. btw i saw the movie Juno yesterday and the opening credits had an interesting cartoony pencil effect. i will have to study the paint synthesizer more. i usually just think it paints, not for manipulating video. thanks....
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13