setting up system for edit

Hello! I've got two basic questions: 1) I need to capture material from mini DV to my LaCie drive working with Avid. I've currently got an old PowerBook G4. It seems as if I have to capture from the tape to my system drive then transfer the media to my external LaCie drive. Is there another way? I was told to buy a PCI express card. Is this the answer and if so, what kind? Or is there another connection I can find? 2) If I buy a newer MacBook Pro (15") can I capture video from a deck (firewire) to my external drive or do I need to buy a PCI card? Thank you! Grid

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just so i (and others) understand, the reason why you don't want to use the existing internal FW 800 port on the powerbook pro is because the system drive is on that same bus internally? Is this really an HD issue or is it true even for older DV firewire camcorders?
  • Hi Ben,
    Thanks for the very thorough reply! So I guess I'll buy a PCI Express card which has two firewire ports. Does each port have 400 or 800? I don't mean to be a luddite, but I suppose you would think that since I use Avid I am (hee hee) - and well you're right --- I just assume buy a flatbed and a splicer!
    Anyway - Does this card just externally plug into my firewire port on the computer? Does it then allow me to plug in both the LaCie drive and my playback device? And will this work on my PowerBook G4? I'll try webbietech as per your suggestion, or can you recommend a store here in San Francisco. Thank you!
    Grid.
This reply was deleted.

This forum closing - my attempt to keep things going

Hi Guys,So I have setup a forum here:http://www.sawberry.com/bbs/It links to the archive stuff. Plus allows posting on the threads which mirror the threads here.In a few days this forum will close so this is my attempt to keep things archived and also allow the community to continue.The way it is setup makes it difficult to search but i'm working on that in the meantime. The basic is to preserve the knowledge from this site and search will come later just i have a day job also so I can only get…

Read more…
0 Replies