art map query

Two things really 1. how do i batch process a folder of movies so that i can use them in the MSG art map.i can find batch options for images /single movies etc. 2. i have used the SA supplied source movies to create an artmap, but i am unable to see the individual movies play within the bigger canvas, as can be seen in the MSG blog site, what am i missing.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You need to make a poster database from your folder of movies. To do this, you run the Process : ArtMap : Generate Poster Index. When you run this menu it first asks you to choose a folder to process (this will be the folder of images or movies you want the database to reference). It then brings up 2 different dialogs that ask you to name the database poster and index files. It then runs through all of the image or movie files in the source folder, you will see them flash in the source area of Evolver. When it is done, it then brings up a final dialog asking you to name the FV file.

What i would suggest is using a naming convention, like a fixed name for the database with the words poster, index, and fv integrated into the name for the 3 file names you need to specify, so myPhotos1_poster, myPhotos1_index, myPhotos1_fv, and put all 3 in the same folder. The 3 files are different components of the database that is generated from the source folder.

Then, you need to setup Evolver's Artmap Poster Index preference to reference the new database you made. To do this, go to File : Preferences : Choose ArtMap Poster Index menu. It will ask you to choose the poster file, index file, and FV file. This is why it's a good idea to incorporate those names into the filenames themselves, so that in the future it will be easy to keep them straight.

So then you can go to the ArtMap Mode in Evolver, goto the Color Option control panel, and choose the Poster Database Image Mode to do straight image or movie database artmapping. If you are using movies and you want the movie to playback in an animation, you need to make sure the 'user original poster source image' checkbox in the ArtMap Color Options control panel is checked. Otherwise the first frame poster image will be used whenever the movie is referenced.

You mentioned batch processing and i was unclear what you were referring to. If you mean batch process movies with paseqs in studio artist, you would run the Action : Batch Process with Folder of PASeq's command to batch process a folder of movies with a folder of paseqs.
    • thankyou,
      i was being a bit dumb and not checking 'user original poster source image'
      • Here's some more information about the poster database for people who are interested. The poster images are 128x128 pixels. So if the sub blocks being generated in the artmap image are larger than that clicking the 'use original poster source image' checkbox will create the sub blocks in the artmapped image from your original source images. If you original source images are larger than 128x128 pixel (typically the case) then you'll get more detail in the artmapped image (at the cost of a slower render time). If the sub blocks in the artmapped image are small (64x64 pixels for example), then referencing the original source images is a waste and will just slow down the render with no improvement in quality.
        • i have been so interested in doing this when i saw the movies of dancers or skaters moving in films of the dancers or skaters actua bodies. msg always seems to quit or freeze when i try something this complicated. i will try again with the detailed info here.
      • one of your images led me to you website last night with all your various art forms. this is not the website of a dumb man. your films are gorgeous.
        • thankyou Donna,
          sometimes when you ask questions on here you feel everyone else knows the answer!

with ref to the MSG artmap thing it works fine, just like the blog examples, and i tried it on an old G4 powerbook, although i thought i saw smoke!.......
This reply was deleted.

This forum closing - my attempt to keep things going

Hi Guys,So I have setup a forum here:http://www.sawberry.com/bbs/It links to the archive stuff. Plus allows posting on the threads which mirror the threads here.In a few days this forum will close so this is my attempt to keep things archived and also allow the community to continue.The way it is setup makes it difficult to search but i'm working on that in the meantime. The basic is to preserve the knowledge from this site and search will come later just i have a day job also so I can only get…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson 1 hour ago