Old Mosaic tutorial from D. Nagel disapeared

Hi! I am sad that an old tutorial David Nagel disapeared from the creativemac.com site :( the link was the following: http://www.creativemac.com/2002/08_aug/tutorials/saphotomosaic1020808.htm - couldn't retrieve it from google cache. I basically want to know how to create images sequences (w/alpha) in quicktime format so I can use it in creating a still photo mosaic from a still source image - I think it was that tutorial that explained the full process - any clue if there is another tutorial on this techniques? Please :D thanks in advance! cheers

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just contacted digital media net about the old tutorials, so i'll let you know about what they have to say about it.

Processing a folder of images into a quicktime movie is pretty easy. You make a 1 step PASeq, where the step sets the canvas to the source image. This will copy the source alpha as well as the rgb channels to the current layer if the source image contains an alpha channel. Then, you need to set your action : process file settings dialog's 'out alpha' popup to 'layer alpha'. Also, you need to pick a quicktime codec that actually supports an alpha channel (like animation codec 32million+).

The, you run the action ; process image files with paint action sequence to movie menu command.
    • Thanks for the prompt reply! I will try and let you know. Have a nice day
  • hi! John, have you been able to put a hand on those old tutorials? that would've been awesome..

and thanks for your reply, sorry i haven't had time to come back thank you properly. you can see one image created with your technique on my portfolio: jrmbr2.com . it's in the 'lab' section, the marilyn monroe one. ;) oh, well, here.. i just upped it :)

1-marilyn-dress-up0000.jpg

• Well, digital media net ignored my requests for the files. And I talked to Dave about it and he doesn't have access to the material since he is no longer at digital media net.

Since we're getting ready to transition to version 4 soon, the older tutorials are going to become less and less useful since the interface and best way to approach something are different. So i think the best thing to do when you run into a situation like this is to bring up the suggestion for a new tutorial that address the particular subject you are interested in.

We're trying to pull together a better web presence associated with version 4 hosted at Synthetik to provide support for tutorials and tips. So hopefully we can do a better job of providing ongoing new tutorials on a regular basis in the future.
  • I just clicked on the link and accessed the tutorial using Firefox as my browser. It works.

Perhaps your inquiries had an effect.
    • same with me, I can see it on all of my browsers.

by the way, thanks to advert to this, it is a very interesting tutorial.
  • I understand John.. thanks.

and, to my own surprise, the link works for me too now! Since my original post in may I haven't checked back, assuming that no reply meant no luck.. my bad!

I'm pumped to see the new version of SSA!
    thank you very much and all the best to you guys and gals.
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13