What I'm trying to do is set TGs on the following parameters: 1) scaling 2) translating along x and y 3) rotation However, I'd like to do this in such a way that I don't get symmetrical edge reflection. In other words, I'd like to zoom into an image and then rotate and translate it. I haven't figured out a way to do this yet (the lack of reflecting edge). The problem seems to be when I try to do the translation. Conceptually, it seems like if I've zoomed in far enough, I should be able to translate (within certain bounds) without getting to an edge. Is there another way to do translation in MSG besides 3ReflectTrans (which automatically adds the reflecting edges)? Or another way to get this overall effect?

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In version 4 you can choose different options for what happens at the edges, so you could choose a modulo repeat as opposed to reflection. I think everything in the current versions reflects with interactive warp and msg processors. You could go back to using the timeline warp in studio artist to build your scaling, translation, and rotation based on the movement of the bezier curves. There's no reflection at boundaries associated with that particular kind of warp.
    • I think the issue is not even so much what happens at the boundaries (actually, most of the time I'm very happy to have the reflection), but it's more with how these particular MSG modules get chained together. For example, when the output of the scaling operation gets sent to be translated, the frame (i.e., the outer boundaries of the image) that the translation is working with is not the original frame (the frame of the source image), but rather, the new frame established by the scaling operation. In other words, what I'm trying to do is zoom in to an image and then move around. But, ideally, because I've zoomed in far enough, and because I don't move around very far (after having zoomed in), I don't get to the edges of the original image. Therefore, it's not really that I don't want the reflection, but more that I don't want the sense of coming to an edge at all.

It's a little hard to explain--I don't know if the above was clear. If it was, is this zooming and edgeless translating something that's possible within MSG as it exists currently, or is this exclusively a job for timeline warping?
      • I'm not quite sure i get what you're saying. I think the answer is timeline warp. But i would like to understand what to add to msg to give you what you want.
        • Ok, I'm going to try to explain it better. Say this is the source image: http://imig.colorado.edu/~theodore/src1.jpg

Now I'm zooming in (scaling):
          http://imig.colorado.edu/~theodore/scale.jpg

If you compare the two images, you can see that we've now zoomed in to the upper left corner. So far, no reflecting edges, or "new edges" of any kind. This is what I'd like to keep. If the 2nd image is a new, zoomed in "window" on the first, I'd simply like to explore the original image by moving the "zoomed in window" around. For instance, we've currently zoomed in on the upper left corner. Imagine slowly moving the zoomed in window across the top of the source image, so that we ultimately wind up zoomed in to the upper right corner of the source image. Does this make sense so far?

Where I run into problems is when I do the translating. The translation operation immediately introduces an edge (reflected in this case), like so: http://imig.colorado.edu/~theodore/trans.jpg

I think this is happening because the translation happens in relation to the scaled image, not in relation to the original source image. Because the scaled image "replaces" the source image, translating immediately creates edges. What I'm looking to do is perform a series of operation on the source image, without each operation becoming the new source image. So, I'd like to not only be able to create a zoomed in window on the source image, but I'd also like to be able create a "zoomed in and rotated" window, etc, all the while without creating visible edges. I'd like to be able to have the source image as a buffer somewhere, and perform a bunch of operations in relation to it, rather than having each successive operation happen in relation to the last one that happened.

Please let me know if this is any clearer. If not, I'll try again.
          • OK, i think i understand. If you're using a msg processor that does some kind of a warp, like the scale rotation, you should have the ability to translate as a part of that processor. So for the 3crotatescale3 processor, you could use the last horz and vert center controls to translate it. i'd lock the controls for the 1st 2 rotate scale adjustments to do nothing.

if you are using interactive warp in studio artist, then there is really no way to add the translate as a part of the scale operation, and you are right as soon as you do the translae as a separate operation you get the edge reflection since that whole operation is really designed to do that for artistic effects.
            • Ok--I think this will do what I was looking for, though I haven't quite gotten it there just yet. I'm going to do more tests so I can be more specific. Thanks for all the help!
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13